Integration with the Sustainability Strategy
LEAF supports the University's sustainability strategy by contributing to 4 of the 8 thematic working groups; Built Environment, Responsible Consumption and Production, Climate Action and Education for Sustainable Development.
The LEAF framework contributes to UN Sustainability Development Goals (UN SDGs) 8, 9, 12, 13 and 17.
The LEAF framework also contributes directly to our ISO14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) by supporting targets and processes on waste, energy, training and culture.
Benefits of becoming LEAF accredited
- Reduces utility costs and environmental footprint
- Increases research efficiency
- Provides recognition for individual labs and the University on a national stage
- Enables a bottom-up sustainability movement that integrates different labs and departments
- Practice-based learning experiences that improve professional skills and employability
- Strengthens relationships between Estates, lab users and other stakeholders
- A selling point for prospective students
- Inter-lab and inter-departmental benchmarking
- Creates a better understanding within our community of our science buildings and operations
- Aligns with our commitment to sustainability
The scheme is for everyone! Academic staff, technical staff and students can organise their own teams and dictate what area the certification is covering - as long as all practices are the same in this area.
Back to: Sustainability