The MRes in Biomedical Sciences & Translational Medicine provides students with a first-class grounding in research training. Students are well placed to continue on to PhD studies, work in industry, or to apply for postgraduate entry medicine or dentistry*.
Below is a sample of publications based on work MRes students have completed during their studies:
- Piyush, T., Chacko, A. R., Sindrewicz, P., Hilkens, J., Rhodes, J. M., and Yu, L. G. (2017) Interaction of galectin-3 with MUC1 on cell surface promotes EGFR dimerization and activation in human epithelial cancer cells. Cell death and differentiation 24, 1937-1947
- Nickson, C. M., Moori, P., Carter, R. J., Rubbi, C. P., and Parsons, J. L. (2017) Misregulation of DNA damage repair pathways in HPV-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma contributes to cellular radiosensitivity. Oncotarget 8, 29963-29975
- Johnson, J. R., Edwards, M. R., Davies, H., Newman, D., Holden, W., Jenkins, R. E., Burgoyne, R. D., Lucas, R. J., and Barclay, J. W. (2017) Ethanol Stimulates Locomotion via a Galphas-Signaling Pathway in IL2 Neurons in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics 207, 1023-1039
- Payton, A., Sindrewicz, P., Pessoa, V., Platt, H., Horan, M., Ollier, W., Bubb, V. J., Pendleton, N., and Quinn, J. P. (2016) A TOMM40 poly-T variant modulates gene expression and is associated with vocabulary ability and decline in nonpathologic aging. Neurobiol Aging 39, 217 e211-217
- Gianfrancesco, O., Griffiths, D., Myers, P., Collier, D. A., Bubb, V. J., and Quinn, J. P. (2016) Identification and Potential Regulatory Properties of Evolutionary Conserved Regions (ECRs) at the Schizophrenia-Associated MIR137 Locus. J Mol Neurosci 60, 239-247
- Sacco, J. J., Kenyani, J., Butt, Z., Carter, R., Chew, H. Y., Cheeseman, L. P., Darling, S., Denny, M., Urbe, S., Clague, M. J., and Coulson, J. M. (2015) Loss of the deubiquitylase BAP1 alters class I histone deacetylase expression and sensitivity of mesothelioma cells to HDAC inhibitors. Oncotarget 6, 13757-13771
- Flanagan, P. K., Chiewchengchol, D., Wright, H. L., Edwards, S. W., Alswied, A., Satsangi, J., Subramanian, S., Rhodes, J. M., and Campbell, B. J. (2015) Killing of Escherichia coli by Crohn's Disease Monocyte-derived Macrophages and Its Enhancement by Hydroxychloroquine and Vitamin D. Inflamm Bowel Dis 21, 1499-1510
- Prorok-Hamon, M., Friswell, M. K., Alswied, A., Roberts, C. L., Song, F., Flanagan, P. K., Knight, P., Codling, C., Marchesi, J. R., Winstanley, C., Hall, N., Rhodes, J. M., and Campbell, B. J. (2014) Colonic mucosa-associated diffusely adherent afaC+ Escherichia coli expressing lpfA and pks are increased in inflammatory bowel disease and colon cancer. Gut 63, 761-770
- Parsons, B. N., Wigley, P., Simpson, H. L., Williams, J. M., Humphrey, S., Salisbury, A. M., Watson, A. J., Fry, S. C., O'Brien, D., Roberts, C. L., O'Kennedy, N., Keita, A. V., Soderholm, J. D., Rhodes, J. M., and Campbell, B. J. (2014) Dietary supplementation with soluble plantain non-starch polysaccharides inhibits intestinal invasion of Salmonella Typhimurium in the chicken. PloS one 9, e87658
- Holmes, A. P., Wong, S. Q., Pulix, M., Johnson, K., Horton, N. S., Thomas, P., de Magalhaes, J. P., and Plagge, A. (2016) Reductions in hypothalamic Gfap expression, glial cells and alpha-tanycytes in lean and hypermetabolic Gnasxl-deficient mice. Mol Brain 9, 39
* This is a full year programme so students wishing to study medicine or dentistry immediately after the completion of this course should consult with the MRes Programme Director, Dr Alec Simpson firstname.lastname@example.org.