What is the Year in China?
The Year in China is the University of Liverpool's exciting new flagship programme allowing undergraduate students, from a huge range of departments, the opportunity to spend one year at our fully English speaking joint venture, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU), following XJTLU's BA China Studies degree classes.
View the table below for a summary of the Year in China programme:
|Duration||Does it add time to my degree?||Will I study modules from my subject area?||Will it count towards my degree?|
|1 academic year||Yes - degree extended by 1 year||No - you will take China studies and Chinese language modules||Yes - 10% of your final mark|
During your time at XJTLU you will be studying:
- Chinese language
- China Studies – these modules can be on any topic, e.g. Chinese history, politics or culture
- Depending on your academic department you may have the opportunity to take modules related to your degree programme in Liverpool
You will live in University approved accommodation. See the XJTLU's accommodation pages for example of the residences available.
How will it fit in to my degree?
- The Year in China is marked on a pass/fail basis, so won't count towards you final degree mark (although the mark you acheive for each module will appear on your transcript)
- Your degree will extend by one year if you participate in the Year in China, e.g. extending a 3 year programme to a 4 year programme
- The title of your degree would change to 'Subject' with a Year in China (e.g. BA Philosophy with a Year in China)
- If you don't pass the Year in China, you'll revert to your original programme and the year will be discounted when calculating your final classification
- You would normally go to XJTLU at the end of 2nd year. See our YiC Integrated Masters list for any exceptions to this or programmes where students can choose which year they participate in Year in China
Find out more:
- Check your eligibility for the Year in China programme
- Find out your funding options for the Year in China
- Discover how the Year in China could benefit you
Watch our Year in China webinar to find out more:
Studying abroad for a semester and the Year in China
It is possible to combine both a semester abroad and the Year in China. However, you can only apply to spend Semester 1 abroad if you want to also undertake the Year in China, as this ensures that you will be back at the University of Liverpool to undertake all of the necessary preparatory work.
Students from departments eligible to replace their 2nd year of study in Liverpool with a year in XJTLU must choose between this option and the Year in China (i.e. you cannot do both).