Consultant in Pain Medicine, Walton Centre NHS Foundation Trust
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Liverpool
Main research interests
My interests include neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia, clinical pharmacology of analgesic drugs, clinical trials, cognitive impact of pain medication, brain navigated repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) for neuropathic pain, and function and anatomy of the dorsal root ganglion.
I was appointed at the Walton Centre in 2009. My current roles include the Clinical Lead for Neuropathic Pain and Opioid Management, and the Clinical Research and Service Evaluation Lead.
I am a Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine at the College of Anaesthetists in Ireland, Dublin (awarded in 2010). I received my CCT in Anaesthesia in 2009 after specialist training in Newcastle upon Tyne and the North East of England.
I was a Senior Registrar in Pain Medicine at the Royal North Shore Hospital, Sydney, Australia during 2007/08.
I am a Fellow of the College of Anaesthetist at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin (awarded in 2006). I received my Doctor of Medicine from Newcastle University in 2005, having graduated in Medicine at the University of Kiel, Germany in 1996.
- Chief Investigator: PL37-C03-2013 (initiated 01/2015 still recruiting)
- National Coordinating Investigator UK: Compose III (ongoing but recruitment completed)
- Chief Investigator: The cognitive impact of gabapentinoids in fibromyalgia patients (initiated 07/2015 recruiting)
- Co-Investigator: Cortical Excitability in Neuropathic pain (closed for recruitment)
- Co-Investigator: Low dose intravenous Immunoglobulin for longstanding CRPS (initiated 07/2013 still recruiting)
- Co-Investigator: KF10004/10 Lidocaine 5% Plaster against Placebo in postoperative neuropathic pain (initiated 07/2013 still recruiting)
Goebel A, Jayaseelan S, Sachane K, Gupta M, and Frank B. Racemic ketamine 4.5-day infusion treatment of long-standing complex regional pain syndrome-a prospective service evaluation in five patients. British journal of anaesthesia. 2015 Jul;115(1):146-7. PubMed PMID: 26089467.
Goebel A, Misbah S, Maciver K, Haynes L, Burton J, Philips C, Frank B, and Poole H. Immunoglobulin maintenance therapy in long-standing complex regional pain syndrome, an open study. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2013 Nov;52(11):2091-3. Epub 2013 Sep 10