Leaving your programme early

The information on this page explains the process of leaving your programme early known as withdrawing from university.

Before you withdraw

We understand there are many reasons for wanting to leave your programme early, but before you do, we advise you to talk with your personal tutor, supervisor or your School about why you want to leave the University. They may be able to offer help and advice that will allow you to carry on with your studies.

If you don’t want to talk to your supervisor, School or personal tutor, Student Services will be able to offer you confidential help and advice. You can also speak in confidence to a member of the Counselling Service.

If you are receiving maintenance payments from Student Finance, you will be contacted by Student Finance to request the return of any overpayment of your maintenance loan in line with the liability points of your withdrawal date.  You are strongly advised to discuss this in detail with our Money Advice and Guidance Team at money@liverpool.ac.uk before finalising your decision to withdraw.

Transferring to a different programme

If you feel the programme you are currently on is not the right one for you, it may be possible for you to transfer to a different programme.

Suspending your studies

Rather than leaving your programme early, it may be possible for you to suspend your studies until you feel able to come back.

Withdrawing from your studies

If you do want to leave your programme early and withdraw from University, you must let us know as soon as possible.

It is important to understand that withdrawing from University will have an impact on your tuition and accommodation fees.

If you do decide to withdraw from University and understand the financial obligations, you will need to:

Undergraduate and Postgraduate Taught students

  • Complete a withdrawing from the University form (UG and PG) and have this approved by your School. Completion and approval of this form will ensure that the University can inform the Student Loans Company promptly
  • If you have a loan from the Student Loans Company you must write formally to them to let them know about your withdrawal.

Postgraduate Research students

  • Complete a Withdrawal Form and have this signed by your primary supervisor.

International students

Any changes to your student status could affect your immigration status in the UK.

The University is required to report any changes in your student status to the UK Home Office and you might be required to leave the UK immediately as your Tier 4 visa will be curtailed (cancelled).

Further advice on immigration issues can be sought from the International Advice and Guidance team.

Back to: Student Administration