Suspending your studies

The information on this page explains the process of stopping your studies for a while known as suspending your studies or academic suspension.

We understand there are many reasons for wanting to stop your course for a while, but before you do, we advise you to talk with your school, personal tutor, or supervisor about why you want to suspend your studies. They may be able to offer help and advice that will allow you to carry on with your studies.

If you don’t want to talk to your School, Personal Tutor, or Supervisor, Student Services will be able to offer you confidential help and advice. You can also speak in confidence to a member of the Counselling Service. 

Suspending your studies

If you do want to suspend your studies, you must let us know as soon as possible.

It is important to understand that suspending your studies will have an impact on your tuition and accommodation fees.

If you are receiving maintenance payments from Student Finance, you will be contacted by Student Finance to request the return of any overpayment of your maintenance loan in line with the liability points of your withdrawal date.  You are strongly advised to discuss this in detail with our Money Advice and Guidance Team at before finalising your decision to withdraw.

Undergraduate and Postgraduate taught students

If you have a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC), you should note the loan liability dates below and ensure that you understand fully the proportion of your loan you will be liable for in the event of your suspension.

  • If you suspend or withdraw after 24 October 2021, you must pay 25% of the fee for the year 
  • If you suspend or withdraw after 9 January 2022, you must pay 50% of the fee for the year
  • If you suspend or withdraw after 3 April 2022, you must pay 100% of the fee for the year

If you do decide to suspend your studies and understand the financial obligations, you will need to:

You will be asked to contact the University one month before your intended return date to confirm that you will be returning to study.

After you have done this, you will be able to confirm your return back on campus using Liverpool Life.

Postgraduate Research students

Rather than suspending your studies, you might be able to take academic leave. Your supervisor will be able to offer you more information about academic leave.

If you do want to suspend your studies, it is important to understand that: 

  • Your registration period will be frozen, which will extend your end date 
  • You do not accrue tuition or bench fees
  • You will not be able to receive supervision
  • You will not have access to University resources or facilities, but you will still have access to your University email account. 

Applying for academic suspension

If you are externally sponsored you must get approval from your sponsor before submitting your request for academic suspension of studies.

Suspensions should be applied for in whole months up to a maximum of one year.

Academic suspensions should be applied for through Liverpool Life. Approval will be sought from your primary supervisor, school, institute or department, Director of PGR, Faculty Director of PGR, and the PGR Student Team.

We will email you with the outcome of your request.

Returning from a period of academic suspension

If you do not resume your studies following a period of suspension you may be deemed withdrawn.

Before returning back to your studies, you will need to:

  • Email and your supervisor to confirm your return to study
  • Complete outstanding Annual Progress Reports
  • Settle any outstanding debt with the University.

Unless you are granted a further period of suspension, you will start to accrue fees from the date you are due back from your suspension.

International students will be expected to produce an original, valid visa at the Student Administration Centre which demonstrates the right to study in the United Kingdom and with the University of Liverpool. You will be given details of how to do this when you are contacted prior to resuming your study.

International students

Any changes to your student status could affect your immigration status in the UK.

The University is required to report any changes in your student status to the UK Home Office and you might be required to leave the UK immediately as your Tier 4 visa will be curtailed (cancelled).

Further advice on immigration issues can be sought from the International Advice and Guidance team.

Back to: Student Administration