Single Honours programme
*You must take a minor subject in Year 1. Learn more about minor subjects in Single Honours.
Honours Select programmes
You can also take Egyptology as a minor (25%), joint (50%) or major (75%) subject as part of an Honours Select degree. Learn more.
- Using archaeological, pictorial and textual records, we give you an in-depth knowledge of the history, archaeology, language, society and culture of Ancient Egypt
- Course content that covers a broad range of themes from Egypt’s Pharaonic period and beyond
- Modules that cover archaeology through to the language and writings of Ancient Egypt
- Learn knowledge and skills to analyse Ancient Egyptian ways of life and death and discover more about this fascinating civilisation
- Practical, hands-on experience accompanies tuition by world leading researchers at the cutting edges of their fields.
- Four weeks of fieldwork experience is a requirement of our BA in Egyptology (Archaeology pathway). This will involve two weeks of archaeological training on our departmental field school in the summer between Years 1 and 2 (or a term-time Museum placement) and a further two week placement at the end of Year 2.
- Two weeks of fieldwork experience is a requirement of our BA in Egyptology (Linguistic pathway). This will involve two weeks of archaeological training on our departmental field school in the summer between Years 1 and 2 (or a term-time Museum placement).
Our low staff-student ratio will give you the support that you need. The outstanding facilities in our own Garstang Museum and in the city centre Liverpool World Museum will give you access to the largest collections of Ancient Egyptian objects in the UK outside the South East.
As well as gaining a thorough understanding of your subject area, our programmes will help you to learn a wide range of skills to enhance your CV, eg.
- Lateral thinking
- Public engagement
- Attention to detail.