Destination Vets Summer School
Destination Vets will is a three day widening participation residential summer school for Year 12 students. It will take place at the University of Liverpool between Tuesday 5th and Thursday 7th July 2022, and will include a trip to our our Institute of Veterinary Science campus, Leahurst.
What Does It Involve?
The days will provide a detailed overview of life as a Veterinary Science student at the University of Liverpool, and will give students the chance to take part in lectures and practical based activities, as well as providing students with guidance around the application process.
The summer school aims to develop confident, well informed applicants to the University’s Veterinary Science programme, who are from a widening participation background. Destination Vets will run in the first week of July for three days with optional follow up or additional activities. There is no charge to take part and we will cover travel costs to and from the University.
Places are extremely limited due to the practical nature of the event. If you would like to apply for a place, please complete the application form at the bottom of the page. The deadline to complete this application is Friday 27th May.
Who Can Apply?
Destination Vets is open to students from a widening participation background studying across England. It is essential you check the eligibility criteria for Veterinary Science programmes.
This programme is a Widening Participation initiative and is open to students who meet indicators from a widening participation background.
Priority is given to students who take part in the Liverpool Scholars Programme or Realising Opportunities Programme.
Pupils in local partner schools are prioritised based on a range of indicators:
- A strong desire to study Veterinary Science
- Prior academic achievement and predicted ability to progress to university level study (please see admissions criteria for Veterinary Science as an indicator)
- Come from a home where neither parent attended university in the UK or abroad
- Be in receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments/16-19 bursary/Pupil Premium at their school or college
- Be in receipt of, or entitled to, free school meals
- Live in a neighbourhood which has a low rate of progression to higher education, or an area which has a high level of financial, social or economic deprivation. This is defined by the student's home postcode.
- Have parents working in non-professional occupations (socio-economic groups 4-8)
- Be in the care of their local authority, or have experience of being in care, or be a young adult carer.
For more information on Destination Vets, please contact the Widening Participation and Outreach team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can apply by completing the application form below. Please note that places are extremely limited and students will be prioritised if they participate in any of the University of Liverpool’s Widening Participation programmes and are local to the Liverpool City Region.