Destination Dentistry Summer School
Destination Dentistry is a four-day widening participation residential summer school for Year 12 students which will take place at the University of Liverpool in July 2024.
Applications for this Summer School will open early in 2024, please complete our interest form in the meantime if you would like to be notified when this opens.
What Does It Involve?
The summer school will provide students with a detailed overview of life as a dental student at the University of Liverpool, including lectures and practical based activities, as well as guidance around the application process and student life at the University of Liverpool.
The summer school aims to develop confident, well informed applicants to the University’s Dental Surgery and Dental Nursing programmes, who are from a widening participation background. Destination Dentistry will run towards the end of July for three nights. There is no charge to take part and we will cover travel costs to and from the University.
Places are extremely limited due to the practical nature of the event. You can apply by completing the form at the bottom of the page. Please note that an email will be sent to your parent/carer and your teacher once applied.
This is a residential event which will include a stay in University of Liverpool student accommodation, a range of activties in the Dental School, a tour of the campus and meeting Undergraduate students who will share their experiences.
Who Can Apply?
Destination Dentistry is open to students from a widening participation background studying across England. It is essential you check the eligibility criteria for the Dental Surgery and/or Dental Therapy programmes as you must be eligible to apply for these courses.
This programme is a Widening Participation initiative and is open to students who meet indicators from a widening participation background.
Priority is given to students who take part in the Liverpool Scholars Programme or Realising Opportunities Programme.
Pupils in local partner schools are prioritised based on a range of indicators:
- A strong desire to study Dental Surgery or Dental Therapy
- Prior academic achievement and predicted ability to progress to university level study (please see admissions criteria for the programmes above as an indicator)
- Come from a home where neither parent attended university in the UK or abroad
- Be in receipt of, or entitled to, discretionary payments/16-19 bursary/Pupil Premium at their school or college
- Be in receipt of, or entitled to, free school meals
- Live in a neighbourhood which has a low rate of progression to higher education, or an area which has a high level of financial, social or economic deprivation. This is defined by the student's home postcode.
- Be in the care of their local authority, or have experience of being in care, or be a young adult carer.
For more information on Destination Dentistry, please contact the Widening Participation and Outreach team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that places are extremely limited and students will be prioritised if they participate in any of the University of Liverpool’s Widening Participation programmes and are local to the Liverpool City Region.