Research Experience Placements
Due to funding from NERC, the EAO DTP runs a Research Experience Placement (REP) scheme each summer.
This scheme is supported as it is widely recognised that there is a shortage of individuals with quantitative skills coming into environmental science. REPs focus on encouraging undergraduate students who are studying quantitative disciplines to consider a career in environmental research.
Eligibility of students
Selected students must meet all of the following criteria. The students must:
- Be studying for a degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics)
- Be undertaking the placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree
- Be in the middle of their first degree studies (or integrated Masters)
- Be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (UK, EU or right to remain in the UK)
£200 per week to the student.
The duration of each REP will be for no less than 8 weeks during the summer recess – dates to be agreed
The student and organisation will be required to submit a brief report on the outcome of the placement to NERC by 31st October of the year of their placement.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter and CV to Julie Samson at email@example.com outlining what kind of placement you are looking for. Frequently, we have defined projects from supervisors and we can pass your details on to determine if your skills are suitable for any particular project. Please note that decisions are usually made during April/May each year, so any applications submitted later than this may not be considered.
Miriam Apsley participated in the REP scheme in 2015. A paper that resulted from her work within the placement can be found here.