Research Experience Placements
We are pleased to announce that the EAO DTP will be running a Research Experience Placement (REP) scheme this summer.
This scheme is supported as it is widely recognised that there is a shortage of individuals with quantitative skills coming into environmental science. REPs focus on encouraging undergraduate students who are studying quantitative disciplines to consider a career in environmental research.
Eligibility of students
Selected students must meet all of the following criteria. The students must:
- Be studying for a degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g. mathematics, statistics, computing, engineering, physics)
- Be undertaking the placement in a different department to their undergraduate degree
- Be in the middle of their first degree studies (or integrated Masters)
- Be expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent
- Be eligible for subsequent NERC PhD funding (UK, EU or right to remain in the UK)
£200 per week to the student.
The duration of each REP will be for no less than 8 weeks during the 2015 summer recess – dates to be agreed
The student and organisation will be required to submit a brief report on the outcome of the placement to NERC by 31st October 2016.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter and CV to Julie Samson, DTP Administrator firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 31st March 2016. In the event of a high demand for the scheme, we may conduct interviews that would take place May/June 2016 – date tbc.
Miriam Apsley participated in the REP scheme in 2015. A paper that resulted from her work within the placement can be found here.