Postdoctoral Seminar Series: Wednesday 26th February 13:00-14:30 Brunner Lecture Theatre, Chemistry
The seminars will take place every month at different venues across the School; postdocs will be given the opportunity to give a 45 minute presentation followed by 15 minutes Q&A. Coffee and cake will be available following the seminar.
Our next speaker is Dr Andrew McLauchlin, PDRA in the Department of Chemistry presenting on Plastics, Pollution and Polemic: The Biodegradability Debate. Networking and refreshments will follow.
These are a rare opportunity for Postdoctoral Research Staff to have the opportunity to present for this amount of time, if you would like to nominate somebody for a future seminar please contact us.
The invitations to all upcoming events organised by the Forum, including regular coffee morning meetings, are automatically sent to all research staff via email.
- 20/11/2019 - PDRA Seminar Series - Dr Micaela Matta - Polymer Semiconductors for Organic Electronics and Bioelectronics
- 23/10/2019 - PDRA Seminar Series - Dr James Hobson - Being the odd one out: The value of multidisciplinary science
- 18/09/2019 - PDRA Seminar Series - Dr Andrea Vezzoli
- 13/09/2019 - PostDoc Appreciation Week - social event in the Chemistry cafe
- 26/09/2017 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Opportunity to check out the LivIDEA Hackspace with Ben Slater, a maker space currently open for anyone to carry out prototyping & 3D printing. Chris Edmonds will be showing his augmented reality app, acceleratorAR - which lets users understand how particle accelerators work and is really cool.
- 04/07/2017 - SoPS Researcher Forum. The 4th of July Coffee Morning + raising money for The Whitechapel Centre.
- 11/05/2017 - SoPS Researcher Forum. The Best Coffee Morning Ever - join researchers from various Institutes and Centres within the School of Physical Sciences.
- 08/02/2017 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Meeting the new Heads of Department across Physical Sciences - Rick Cosstick from Chemistry, Carsten Welsch from Physics and Kurt Langfeld from Mathematics.
- 29/11/2016 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Life coaching exercises with Denise Chilton, mince pies, tea & coffee.
- 07/10/2016 - Making the transition from Academia to Industry. Several speakers with real industry experience discuss how to move from Academia to Industry and share insights on life after academia. Followed by a mini coaching session from Denise Chilton on "How to Make the Change".
- 12/9/2016 - Making Collaborations. This event was organised by the Researcher Forum and included talks from experts on setting up a collaborative network within Academia and Industry. Presentations by Dr. Laura Harkness-Brennan (University of Liverpool), Prof. Neil Champness (University of Nottingham), Dr. Jenny Woods (Diamond Light Source/Harwell Centre), Dr. Nick Goldspink (N8 Research Partnership) and Dr. Helen Niblock (EPSRC) were followed by discussions within focus groups on how to establish and maintain collaborations.
- 25/8/2016 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Joined by Dr Lynn Clark, the Researcher Developer for the Centre for Lifelong Learning, discussing the provision of training for research staff.
- 19/5/2016 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Kate Black talked about the University Mentoring Scheme, and we were joined by postdocs from environmental science and EEE & CS to get an idea of how we run the forum.
- 17/3/2016 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Alex Thomas discusses the Early Careers Researcher Forum and how it can help us achieve more for the researcher community (cancelled).
- 1/12/2015 - SoPS Researcher Forum. Professor Dinah Birch (Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research) and Sarah Jackson (Director of Research, Partnerships & Innovation) talk about the University Research Strategy and how Research staff can be more actively engaged with it.
- 10/11/2015 - Researcher Development Opportunities Event: "Start Up Stories - The Journey from Academia to Enterprise". Two case studies "Story of Chirochem" (Paul Colbon, Chemistry) and "Entrepreneurial Journey into the Nuclear Civil Industry" (Matt Murdoch and Joe Coleman, Physics) together with overviews by Ronan McGrath (Head of School), Karen Linley (Business Gateway) and Denise Chilton (Enterprise Co-ordinator).
- 16/10/2015 - SoPS Researcher Forum provided a collective response to the Green Paper on future University strategies.
- 9/10/2015 - SoPS Researcher Forum: "What Does Recognition Mean to You?" Alex Hayes, the Faculty Research & Knowledge Exchange manager, talks about plans to develop support and training for research staff in the Faculty.
- 17/7/2015 - SoPS Researcher Forum. The Head of School Ronan McGrath updates on the School’s activities relating to the forum such as formalising the recognition of the work postdocs do and expanding the Forum to include School level activity.
- 14/5/2015 - SoPS Researcher Forum. The Head of School Ronan McGrath gives an overview of the School in context of the University, the role of research staff and discusses the opportunities for career development, teaching and other issues raised in the staff survey.
- 10/4/2015 - Social event: PDRA Board Game Evening. Bring along your favourite board games and get to know your fellow postdocs - nibbles provided!
- 11/12/2014 - Lecture “An Introduction to Project Management” by Alan Hotchkiss, the Programme Manager for the Open Innovation Hub for Antimicrobial Surfaces. Alan covers some basic project management definitions, an introductory view of some tools and techniques used by project managers and offers some opinions, based on personal experiences, that project management actually requires as much in the way of leadership skills as management skills.
- 28/11/2014 - Chemistry Researcher Forum. Lecturers Gita Sedghi and Sue Barlow teaching opportunities available in the department and Helen Aspinall and Cate Cropper talk about outreach opportunities.
- 27/10/2014 - Chemistry Researcher Forum. Andrew Hodgson (Head of Department), Dave Stewart (UCU), and Christos Petichakis (Researcher Development) give brief presentations and and answer questions.