PhDs in Data Science, Machine Learning and AI
Interested in AI, data science and machine learning? Unsure if you want a career in research or industry but have an ambition to be a future leader in the field? If you possess either an UG or Masters in a numerate subject, have an interest in next generation data science and strive to make a difference, apply now to join the CDT.
The fifth and final cohort starts 1st October 2023.
Why Choose the Distributed Algorithms CDT?
- Differentiate yourself from other data scientists.
- Acquire a unique set of data science, computing and problem solving skills.
- Undertake training to support academic and industrial career paths.
- Access technical research support from a team of academic experts and peer mentors.
- Collaborate with an external partner to solve real-world challenges.
- Individual budget for conferences, books, personal training, etc.
- Take part in a placement with your industrial partner.
- Gain skills to use state-of-the-art high-performance computing facilities.
- Work in a cohort environment that supports diversity and inclusivity.
- Benefit from fully funded PhD studentships (for home and international students).
- Personal monthly tax free payment of £1,552 (stipend rates).
Who do we want?
The CDT believes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. We are committed to providing an inclusive environment in which diverse students can reach their full potential. The CDT encourages applications from women, disabled, neurodiverse, LGBTQ+ and/or Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates. We are happy to discuss accommodations to help people thrive.
Current PhD Projects
There are no projects open for applications at the moment.
CDT Application Instructions
Applicants must apply to CDT using the University's generic PhD application form. To ensure the CDT receives your application, you must:
- Follow the guidance (DA CDT Application Instructions V5_2023).
- Select 'Electrical Engineering and Electronics PhD' for the programme of study on the University's application form (see point 1 on the CDT application instructions).
- Send your ranked list of the top 3 preferred projects at the end of your supporting statement (see point 4 on the CDT application instructions).
Any deviation from the guidance may result in your application not being processed and/or deferred to the next round of recruitment. All applications are assessed by independent academic panels. The outcomes are scored, ranked and the top applicant for each project will be invited to interview. The CDT aims to make informal offers to the successful candidates within one month of the closing date.
"The DA CDT process was the best application process I undertook, inclusive of the many job applications I completed during my undergraduate."
"My PhD project gives me an excellent opportunity to do some research, work with an industrial partner and learn how to expand the theory and at the same time, apply it to a specific problem."