Your Student Record

Your student record is managed by the PGR Student Administration Team. The team is responsible for managing your record in accordance with the Ordinances and Regulations that govern PGR degrees (56A to 58B inclusive and 60).

The PGR Code of Practice is also used to regulate postgraduate degrees. This and its appendices are available on the Academic Quality and Standards Division website and can be seen here . The Code of Practice is the base by which the University regulates and administers its research degrees and should be refered to in all cases.

There are minimum and maximum periods of registration for each PGR degree. The registration periods for anyone registered from 2014/15 are outlined below in their current form. If you registered prior to this date, please refer to the relevant Ordinance for your cohort. The minimum registration period must be completed before you transfer to submission pending or submit your thesis. The next milestone is the submission deadline, the date by which you should submit your thesis within normal registration also known as your end date. The maximum registration period is the deadline by which you must have completed everything related to the research degree including viva examination and any correction period and including any periods of suspension or extension. You cannot go beyond the latter.

Your degree is governed by the version of the Ordinance in use at the time when you registered on your programme. For example, if you were admitted in 1st October 2016 you should refer to the Ordinance that was in place for the academic session 2016-17.  

It is important you consult the Ordinance relevant to your programme and the PGR Code of Practice more generally, so you understand the regulations that govern your degree.



Method of






Maximum Permitted


MPhil Registered after 2014/15 Full Time 1 year 2 years 5 years
  Part Time 2 years 4 years 7 years
PhD Registered after 2014/15 Full Time 2 years 4 years 7 years
  Part Time 4 years 6 years 9 years
Doctor of Medicine Full time 2 years 4 years 7 years
  Part Time 4 years 6 years 9 years