Professor McNulty has built a strong, distinctive research portfolio about corporate governance, board effectiveness, strategic leadership and change in corporations and healthcare organisations with excellent access to actors and institutions of senior management and governance, in public and private sectors. His research invoices direct study of CEO’s and senior management, professional experts, boards, institutional investors, pensions funds, and company secretaries.
He has achieved policy influence and research impact over two decades as his research has been used by: the Law Commission (2013/4); Association of Chartered Certified Accountants on Boards and Risk (2012); Institute of Company Secretaries (2011); UK Code of Corporate Governance (Higgs Review of the Role and Effectiveness of Non-Executive Directors, DTI/Treasury 2003); Department of Health (2002); Bristol Royal Infirmary Inquiry (2001).
Currently he is an Advisory Board Member, to the Research project: ‘Learning from leadership changes made by boards of hospital NHS trusts and foundation trusts following the Francis Inquiry report'. Department of Health National Institute for Health Research, the Nuffield Trust, the University of Birmingham and the University of Manchester.
He is an examiner for the Institute of Directors (IoD) and reviews research for the UN Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
Among speeches and keynote addresses are those given to the Institute of Company Secretaries (ICSA) Conference and events organised by the Athens Stock Exchange, Eversheds, Sports Council Wales.
- “Board Leadership: From “Structure” to Effectiveness”. International Conference on Exemplary Corporate Governance. Conference on the “The future of Gatekeeping and Board Leadership”, by Invitation (Center of Corporate Governance at the University of Reykjavik, Iceland, March 2016, 2016)
- ‘Realizing the Potential of the Board of Directors for Developing Enterprise and Good Corporate Governance’, Athens Stock Exchange, November, 2014, by Invitation (Better Future, 2014)
- Academy of Management, by Invitation (Academy of Management, 2004)
- Organization Studies (Editorial Board Member, 2006 - present)
- University of Warwick, PhD (2006)
- University of Nottingham, MBA (2006)
- University of Strathclyde, MBA (2005)
- University of Birmingham, PhD (2005)
- University of Warwick, PhD (2004)
- University of Bradford, MBA (2001)
Professional Body Memberships
- European Group for Organization Studies (Member, 2000 - present)
- British Academy of Management (Member, 2000 - present)
- Academy of Management (Member, 2000 - present)
Other Administrative or Committee Roles
- Chair, European Academy of Management Annual Conference, 2009, University of Liverpool
- RAE Coordinator, 2006-2008, University of Liverpool Management School
- University of Liverpool Management School Director of Research 2006-2014
- REF Coordinator, 2008-2014, University of Liverpool Management School