Fees and finance

As a parent or supporter of a prospective student, you might have lots of questions about the costs associated with university study. Luckily, we've got you covered. We’ll explain the basics and point you towards more detailed information.

Students loans and Government grants

The UK Government offers two types of student loans for eligible undergraduate students.

  • Tuition fee loans cover the payment of tuition fees. Most UK undergraduate students don’t have to pay course fees up front or while they’re studying
  • Maintenance loans help with living costs such as accommodation, travel, food and study expenses.

How your young person applies for student finance, and what they are entitled to, depends on where in the UK they live, so they will apply through the funding bodies of England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Extra financial support, including non-repayable grants, may be available to eligible students, based on certain circumstances. These may include personal circumstances, for example disability or whether they have dependants; where in the UK they live; or if they are applying for certain subjects, for example social work, teacher training, or subjects for which NHS funding is available.

Scholarships and bursaries

The University offers a range of scholarships and bursaries for eligible undergraduate students to help make higher education more affordable. Some of these awards provide cash incentives while others offer generous tuition fee discounts.


How your young person will manage their money can be a concern for students and their families. The good news is that Liverpool is a comparatively cost-effective city in which to study, with plenty of opportunities for part time work to subsidise their student finance.

We also provide money advice and guidance to help your young adult with budgeting and managing their money while studying.

Further information

Please check out our Paying for your studies pages to find out more about tuition fees and financial support.

Back to: Undergraduate