Student visas

A Student Route visa is the type of visa that most international students at the University will need to obtain before they can start their course.

The University of Liverpool has a licence with the UK Home Office to sponsor international students for visa purposes. By issuing a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) to a student, the University is stating that it wishes for the student to be granted a Student Route visa to study here. As a visa sponsor with a Student Route licence, the University has specific duties and responsibilities to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for all of its international students holding any type of visa whilst in the UK.

Prior to applying for a Student Route visa, you need to be sponsored by the University for the specific course you want to study and you need to meet the requirements of the Student Route visa.

The UK government has issued some guidance on How to apply for your UK Student visa - December 2022

If you have or will make an application to extend your visa inside the UK and need to attend a biometric appointment, please see details on the UK Visas and Citizenship Application Service (UKVCAS) regarding their current service status.

If you need further advice about applying for your visa please contact the International Advice and Guidance team.

Applying for a Student Visa

Apply for a student visa

How to apply for a student visa from either inside or outside the UK.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

How to apply for an ATAS certificate.

Attendance and engagement for Tier 4/Student Visa

Attendance and engagement for Tier 4/Student Visa

The duties and responsibilities that you have as a visa holder for attending your course.

Biometric Residence Permits

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

What is a BRP, how to get one and what to do if it needs replacing.

Conditions attached to a Student Visa

Conditions attached to a Student Visa

Details about the conditions attached to your visa.

Confirmation of acceptance for studies

Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS)

What is a CAS and how to apply for one.

Immigration healthcare surcharge

Immigration healthcare surcharge

Information on the immigration healthcare surcharge and how much it costs.

Money you need

Money you need

How much money you need to qualify for a student visa.

Police registration

Registration with the Police

Includes, how to register with the Police, what to bring with you, keeping your certificate up-to-date, registering dependents and replacing a lost or stolen certificate.



Information about translating your documents into English.

Time limits on studies

Time limit on studies

How long you can spend studying in the UK on a Student visa.

Working in the UK during studies

Working in the UK during studies

Includes visa restrictions, how to get a national insurance number and finding a job.

No recourse to public funds

No recourse to public funds

Information about 'No recourse to public funds' and what it means.

Changing your course of study

Changing your course

If you wish to change your course of study you may be required to make an application for a new visa before you start your new course of study.