Support for Disabled Students

Click on the question below to display the answer.

  • What is classed as a Disability?


    You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities.

    ‘Substantial’ means more than minor or trivial; and ‘long-term’ means 12 months or more.

    If you have HIV, cancer or multiple sclerosis, you automatically meet the disability definition under the Equality Act 2010, from the day you’re diagnosed.

    You may not think of yourself as being ‘disabled’, but the majority of students we support have an ‘unseen disability’ such as a long-term medical condition (e.g. M.E or epilepsy); or a mental health condition (e.g. depression or anxiety); or a specific learning disability (e.g. dyslexia).

    Further information about the Equality Act can be found here: Equality Act 2010 Guidance

  • What support is available for me as a disabled student?


    The University has a dedicated Disability Advice & Guidance Team (DAG) which is part of the University’s Student Welfare Advice & Guidance service.  The team is responsible for the co-ordination of support for current and prospective disabled students.

    Each person’s disability can affect them in different ways, so the support that will be put in place for you is based on your individual needs.

    We will work with you to identify and implement individual reasonable adjustments. Our aim is to reduce the disadvantage you may experience as a result of your disability, and support you in your independence.  There are a variety of different forms of support available, which we will help you to access. This support may include: programme-centred support; exam support; library support; campus accessibility; specialist equipment; non-medical helper support, e.g. Specialist Mentor, Scribe.

  • Do I have to disclose my disability to the University?


    It’s your choice as to whether you want to disclose a disability to the University; however we would always encourage you to do so. 

    Informing us about your disability as early as possible will enable us to discuss with you what reasonable adjustments you may require for your studies.

    You will have several opportunities to disclose a disability, such as on your UCAS or PG application form, or you can contact Disability Advice & Guidance (DAG) directly at any time prior to, or during, your studies.

    We are a confidential support service and won’t disclose any information about you/your disability/support requirements, without your consent.

  • When should I contact Disability Advice and Guidance (DAG)?


    We would encourage you to contact Disability Advice and Guidance (DAG) as early as possible, to allow time for any reasonable adjustments to be put into place.

    You can contact DAG prior to, or at any time during your studies.

  • Can I restrict the information about me that Disability Advice & Guidance (DAG) shares with other departments in the University?


    Yes, you can.  However, it is important to note that if you restrict the information that we can share, this may mean that you are unable to access the full range of support that would otherwise be available to you.

    If you have any concerns about this and would like to discuss it further, please contact Disability Advice & Guidance (DAG)

  • I have already started my course. Is it too late to contact Disability Advice and Guidance (DAG)?


    No, you can get in contact with Disability Advice and Guidance (DAG) at any time during your course to discuss implementing support.

  • I have support in place for my disability, but now have an additional disability/medical condition which is affecting my studies, what should I do?


    Once you have obtained the appropriate medical evidence for your new disability/condition (see the Supporting Documentation Guidance for details of evidence requirements), you should submit a copy of this documentation to Disability Advice & Guidance (DAG). 

    We will then contact you to arrange for you to meet with a member of DAG to discuss the support that you require for your new condition/disability.

  • How will my academic teaching staff know about my support requirements?


    With your consent, we will create a Student Support Information Sheet (SSIS) for you which will detail your recommended reasonable adjustments. 

    Your SSIS will be sent via e-mail to your Departmental Disability Contact and is also available to all staff teaching on your modules, who can access it via their electronic class lists.

    We also encourage students to e-mail/give a copy of their SSIS to their lecturers/tutors, as this can provide a good opportunity to talk to them about your support needs.