Click on the question below to display the answer.

  • I require personal / social care support - what should I do?


    Personal/Social care support (such as support with personal hygiene, feeding, cleaning, shopping etc.), is arranged through your home Social Services (i.e. where you ordinarily live, not Liverpool Social Services).  The University does not provide this type of assistance. 

    We would encourage you to contact Social Services as early as possible, as it can take a long time for this support to be approved and arranged.

    It would also be helpful if you let Disability Advice and Guidance (DAG) know if you require personal care, so that we can refer you to other support services which you may need to liaise with, such as the Accommodation Team.

    If you are not eligible for Social Services funding, i.e. international / EU Students, it is important that you consider how you will fund your personal care prior to coming to the UK, e.g. privately, sponsorship, home government funding, charitable trust.  You must arrange this support prior to starting your course.

  • Does the University fund personal / social care support?


    No. The University isn’t responsible for funding or co-ordinating personal/social care needs.

  • Does Disability Advice and Guidance (DAG) provide support for a temporary illness or injury?


    No, we are only able to support people deemed to have a disability as defined by the Equality Act. Further information about the Equality Act can be found here: Equality Act 2010 Guidance

    If you require support for a temporary illness or injury you can contact the Advice & Guidance Team (based in Student Welfare Advice & Guidance in the Alsop Building) for advice.

    Alternatively you can contact your Academic Adviser or Student Experience Team in your School/Department, to discuss how they can support you.

  • I have an assistance dog; can I bring them to University with me?


    On the grounds of Health and Safety responsibilities to staff, students and visitors, the University will only allow access for a dog that is registered with one of the assistance dog charities (e.g. Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, Guide Dogs for the Blind), accredited by Assistance Dogs UK (ADUK) or the international equivalent and evidence of this accreditation is provided.

    Please note, a pet or a therapy/emotional support animal is not an assistance dog, and therefore not permitted on campus.

    Further information can be found in Appendix E Assistance Dogs  of the Policy and Procedures Regarding Reasonable Adjustments and Support for Disabled Students.

  • How can I find out about accessibility on campus?


    The AccessAble website provides details about accessibility on campus.

  • I am a student with a Blue Badge – can I park on campus?


    Yes, you will be permitted to park in staff car parks on campus without charge.  You will need to register your details and provide a photocopy of your Blue Badge to the Vehicle Parking Office.  All details can be found here: Blue Badge Parking

  • I am a student but don’t have a Blue Badge – can I park on campus?


    You are able to park in the visitor car parks on campus.  See the Visitor Car Parking website for further information, including charges. 

    You will not be able to access staff car parks, unless in exceptional circumstances.  For further details, please refer to Appendix G of the Policy and Procedures Regarding Reasonable Adjustments and Support for Disabled Students

  • I’m the parent / guardian of an applicant/student. Am I able to act on their behalf to arrange their support?


    We are happy to answer any general questions you may have about support available at the University, however we are unable to answer specific queries in relation to your son/daughter without their written consent.

    As an adult applying to study/studying at the University, we will need to liaise directly with them in order to put appropriate support in place.  We would encourage you to support your son/daughter in their contact with our Team and are happy for you to accompany them to any appointments.

    If you have questions relating to your son/daughter’s course of study, we would advise you to contact their Departmental Disability Contact in the first instance.

  • Is there any additional information available to help me support my son/daughter?


    Yes, the Guide for Parents & Supporters contains lots of helpful information.

  • I think I may have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). How can I find out if I do?


    We would advise you to speak to your GP initially.  They will be able to talk to you about a possible referral to an appropriate specialist for a full assessment.

    You may also find it helpful to look at the following websites: ADHD Foundation and the NHS.

  • I think I may be Dyslexic. How can I find out if I am?


    If you think you may have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as Dyslexia, we would suggest that you initially access our online screening tool, called QuickScan.

    How does QuickScan work?

    QuickScan takes around 15 minutes to complete. To start the QuickScan screener click here.  You should enter your “student ID number” as your user ID.

    It will ask you a series of questions and will then generate a report which will tell you whether you display any indicators of a specific learning difficulty.

    You can then decide if you wish to obtain a full diagnostic assessment from an Educational Psychologist or Specialist Teacher.

    Disability Advice and Guidance are able to provide a list of local assessors that assess to the standards required for Higher Education and Disabled Students’ Allowance requirements.