The cardiology service is run by a team of internationally-recognised veterinary specialists with advanced training in both the diagnosis and treatment of heart and respiratory disease. Clinicians are supported by a team of highly trained nursing and support staff to ensure excellent care and patient comfort. We are one of the busiest cardiology centres in the UK.
The service accepts referrals at both a secondary and tertiary level from practitioners and from cardiology-interested colleagues. Advanced diagnostic and treatment procedures are offered including surgical and medical management of congenital (present at birth) heart disease and acute heart failure, investigation and treatment of cardiomyopathies (heart muscle disease) and arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms). Temporary and permanent pacemaker implantation is available along with DC electrical cardioversion of certain rhythm abnormalities.
We welcome all types of cardiology and respiratory medicine cases including but not limited to:
- Investigation of heart murmurs in dogs and cats, including Doppler echocardiography.
- Investigation of exercise intolerance or collapse / syncope.
- Investigation of cough or breathing abnormalities.
- Treatment of congestive heart failure in dogs and cats.
- Investigation (with digital ECG, Holter monitoring and Reveal devices where needed) and treatment of arrhythmias (including DC cardioversion).
- Pacemaker implantation for symptomatic bradyarrhythmias.
- Minimally-invasive cardiac catheterisation procedures for congenital heart disease including: Amplatz canine duct occlusion (ACDO) of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA), Balloon valvuloplasty of pulmonic stenosis.
- Heart testing (breed screening) of both dogs and cats for congenital heart disease or acquired heart disease (such as mitral valve disease, dilated cardiomyopathy or feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).
- Management of pericardial disease and neoplastic effusions (in association with our oncology service).
- Procedures include pericardiocentesis and thorascopic or thoracostomic pericardiectomy (in association with our soft tissue surgery service).
To refer to this service please visit our Vet Referral page.