Some ideas to get you started.
If you are stuck for inspiration about what to write for our Powers of Nature competition then why don't you try one of these exercises out!
- Use personification to write a poem or short story from the perspective of the Sun, the Earth, or a volcano. This could be a ‘letter to humanity’ or describe a key event.
- Try and think up some ‘kennings’ about things that you find powerful or terrifying in the natural world. Weave these together to make a poem, or use a kenning as the title of your poem or story.
- Write a story beginning: ‘Faced with one of the most powerful forces in Nature, there was only one thing for it…’
- Write a pattern poem/concrete poem in the shape of the sun or a volcano.
- If you could channel the power of the sun through your fingertips what would you do with it?