My research focus is on improving the quality of clinical outcome, clinical effectiveness and efficiency, improving patient experience in clinical dental practice.
• CHOICE TRIAL: Changing Habits tO Prevent ChIld CariEs: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Family Focused Therapeutic Conversation Delivered by Dental Nurses in Primary Care, Co-applicant and PI/ Clinical Lead for Liverpool. NIHR HTA, total award: £2,608,678.50, Start: December 2021
• Pulpotomy for the management of irreversible pulpitis in mature teeth (Pulpotomy for Irreversible Pulpitis - PIP Trial), Co-applicant and Co-PI for University of Liverpool, NIHR HTA, total award £1,996,749.96, Start: June 2020
• The MAGIC trial (Melatonin for Anxiety prior to General anaesthesia In Children): A Randomised Controlled Trial of Melatonin Versus Midazolam in the Premedication of Anxious Children Attending for Elective Dental and ENT Surgery Under General Anaesthesia: Co –applicant and PI for Liverpool, NIHR HTA, total award £1,644,609, Start: December 2017.
• Supervisor for ACF who was awarded Crispian Scully award for £2000 from the Oral and Dental Research Trust for a project titled experiences of dental problems in children with long-term health conditions: an exploratory study- Jan 2022
• Dental RECUR trial: multicentre NIHR funded trial Principle investigator for Liverpool (£250,000), March 2015 – September 2019
• PhD studentship: Society of advancement in dental anaesthesia (£71,000) 2012- 2015
• Wellcome VIP starter fund (£1600), University of Liverpool – 2008
• Incubation network award, Connected Communities: children, childhoods and communities. Member; the ultimate goal of the network is to develop new and powerful models for multidisciplinary research on children and childhoods – 2010
Current Projects and Collaboration
• Experimental Arthritis Treatment Centre for Children (EATC4Children) new collaboration working with emerging workstream around Bechet Syndrome, IgA vasculitis. This is a new collaboration with co-supervision of three DDSc students and NIHR ACF developing projects on the relationship between oral health and inflammatory diseases in children
• Paediatric Dental attendances to Emergency Departments, collaboration to understand and reduce unnecessary dental attendances to ED departments, this is a collaboration between University of Liverpool, Alder Hey Children Hospital and Birmingham Children Hospital. Supervision of an NIHR ACF developing Doctoral fellowship proposal
• Development of care pathways for the management of dental trauma in both children and adults including the development of transitional care pathway in collaboration with Newcastle University.
• The effect of unhealthy food and drinks marketing on eating behaviour in Children and Young People.
• Knowledge of Nursing staff and other allied health professionals of oral health. This a Merseyside and Cheshire wide collaboration to investigate awareness of health care staff of oral health.
• Care pathway for children requiring emergency admission for dental treatment .
Postgraduate student supervision:
• Currently supervising 2 PhD and 7 DDSc students.
• Supervisor for two University of Liverpool PhD students and 4 DDsc students successfully completed and graduated.
• External supervisor of a PhD studentship: decision aids for paediatric dental sedation/ university of Sheffield, this student has completed his PhD successfully (July 2015)
• Internal and External examiner for a number of PhD and masters decertations in the UK and internationally
Children's oral health
Bench fees for Nada Nashee Nafi AI Hafidh (201647146)
THE HIGHER COMMITTEE FOR EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT IN IRAQ (HCED) (IRAQ)
June 2023 - May 2027
Establishing the proteome of children's primary teeth
ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF ENGLAND(UK)
July 2023 - June 2024
Do Salivary Proteins Predict Causes of Oral Ulceration in Children
ALDER HEY CHILDREN'S CHARITY (UK)
September 2022 - August 2024
CHOICE: Changing Habits tO Prevent ChIld CariEs: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Family- Focused Therapeutic Conversation Delivered by Dental Nurses in Primary Care
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE (UK)
December 2021 - May 2026
Experiences of dental problems in children with long term health conditions: exploratory study.
ORAL AND DENTAL RESEARCH TRUST (UK)
February 2022 - January 2023
Use of a CDFF oral biofilm model to investigate product associated changes in biofilm colonisation, ecology, structure and biochemistry
UNILEVER UK CENTRAL RESOURCES LTD (UK)
October 2016 - December 2021
WELLCOME VIP 2007/08
WELLCOME TRUST (UK)
October 2007 - October 2009