My research focus is on improving the quality of clinical outcome, clinical effectiveness and efficiency, improving patient experience in clinical dental practice.
• CHOICE TRIAL: Changing Habits tO Prevent ChIld CariEs: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Family Focused Therapeutic Conversation Delivered by Dental Nurses in Primary Care, Co-applicant and PI/ Clinical Lead for Liverpool. NIHR HTA, total award: £2,608,678.50, Start: December 2021
• Pulpotomy for the management of irreversible pulpitis in mature teeth (Pulpotomy for Irreversible Pulpitis - PIP Trial), Co-applicant and Co-PI for University of Liverpool, NIHR HTA, total award £1,996,749.96, Start: June 2020
• The MAGIC trial (Melatonin for Anxiety prior to General anaesthesia In Children): A Randomised Controlled Trial of Melatonin Versus Midazolam in the Premedication of Anxious Children Attending for Elective Dental and ENT Surgery Under General Anaesthesia: Co –applicant and PI for Liverpool, NIHR HTA, total award £1,644,609, Start: December 2017.
• Supervisor for ACF who was awarded Crispian Scully award for £2000 from the Oral and Dental Research Trust for a project titled experiences of dental problems in children with long-term health conditions: an exploratory study- Jan 2022
• Dental RECUR trial: multicentre NIHR funded trial Principle investigator for Liverpool (£250,000), March 2015 – September 2019
• PhD studentship: Society of advancement in dental anaesthesia (£71,000) 2012- 2015
• Wellcome VIP starter fund (£1600), University of Liverpool – 2008
• Incubation network award, Connected Communities: children, childhoods and communities. Member; the ultimate goal of the network is to develop new and powerful models for multidisciplinary research on children and childhoods – 2010
Current Projects and Collaboration
• Experimental Arthritis Treatment Centre for Children (EATC4Children) new collaboration working with emerging workstream around Bechet Syndrome, IgA vasculitis. This is a new collaboration with co-supervision of three DDSc students and NIHR ACF developing projects on the relationship between oral health and inflammatory diseases in children
• Paediatric Dental attendances to Emergency Departments, collaboration to understand and reduce unnecessary dental attendances to ED departments, this is a collaboration between University of Liverpool, Alder Hey Children Hospital and Birmingham Children Hospital. Supervision of an NIHR ACF developing Doctoral fellowship proposal
• Development of care pathways for the management of dental trauma in both children and adults including the development of transitional care pathway in collaboration with Newcastle University.
• The effect of unhealthy food and drinks marketing on eating behaviour in Children and Young People.
• Knowledge of Nursing staff and other allied health professionals of oral health. This a Merseyside and Cheshire wide collaboration to investigate awareness of health care staff of oral health.
• Care pathway for children requiring emergency admission for dental treatment .
Postgraduate student supervision:
• Currently supervising 2 PhD and 7 DDSc students.
• Supervisor for two University of Liverpool PhD students and 4 DDsc students successfully completed and graduated.
• External supervisor of a PhD studentship: decision aids for paediatric dental sedation/ university of Sheffield, this student has completed his PhD successfully (July 2015)
• Internal and External examiner for a number of PhD and masters decertations in the UK and internationally
Children's oral health
Establishing the proteome of children's primary teeth
ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF ENGLAND(UK)
July 2023 - May 2025
Do Salivary Proteins Predict Causes of Oral Ulceration in Children
ALDER HEY CHILDREN'S CHARITY (UK)
September 2022 - February 2025
CHOICE: Changing Habits tO Prevent ChIld CariEs: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Family- Focused Therapeutic Conversation Delivered by Dental Nurses in Primary Care
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & SOCIAL CARE (UK)
December 2021 - May 2026
Experiences of dental problems in children with long term health conditions: exploratory study.
ORAL AND DENTAL RESEARCH TRUST (UK)
February 2022 - January 2023
Use of a CDFF oral biofilm model to investigate product associated changes in biofilm colonisation, ecology, structure and biochemistry
UNILEVER UK CENTRAL RESOURCES LTD (UK)
October 2016 - December 2021
WELLCOME VIP 2007/08
WELLCOME TRUST (UK)
October 2007 - October 2009