Most of my external engagement work is connected in some way to Africa and specifically to Zimbabwe. Since the early 2000s, a lot of this work has revolved around asylum cases and providing expert advice to the courts.
In 2011, I was appointed by the UK Independent Advisory Group on Country Information (IAGCI), to evaluate the UK Border Agency’s Zimbabwe Country of Origin Report, and to make recommendations for improvements.
I also read book manuscripts for a wide range of popular and academic presses, including Heinemann, James Currey, Zed, Pearson, and Routledge.
I have been a member of the executive committee of the Britain Zimbabwe Society since 1982 and have held most of its officer roles: Secretary, Membership Secretary, Treasurer, Newsletter Editor and Chair. The BZS is an umbrella organisation, and through it I have worked with town council twinning organisations, arts organisations, health groups, children's groups and many more.
I am in much demand as an external doctoral examiner, and I have only listed those doctorates where I thought the work was particularly significant as a contribution to our body of knowledge.
- Journal of Southern African Studies (Editor, 2012 - present)
- University of Bradford (Kudakwashe Chirambwi), PhD (2018)
- University of Birmingham (Paul Hess), PhD (2018)
- Rhodes University, SA (Tapiwa Zimudzi), PhD (2017)
- University of Zimbabwe (Ushehwedu Kufakurinani), PhD (2015)
- University of Cape Town (Glen Ncube), PhD (2012)
- University of London (Josiah Brownell), PhD (2009)
- University of Oxford (Josephine Nhongo-Simbanegavi), DPhil (PhD, 1997)
Organisations I have been associated with
- Britain Zimbabwe Society (Chair Emeritus) (1982 - present)
- British Empire & Commonwealth Museum, with Rhodesian Army Association (2006 - 2008)
- Wiltshire Victoria County History (2007 - 2010)
- Zimbabwe Peace & Reconciliation Commission (2018 - present)
Professional Body Memberships
- Royal Historical Society (Fellow, 2004 - present)
Other Administrative or Committee Roles
- School Lead on Employability and Placements, HLC