Popular music and politics
- Political and identity discourses articulated in popular music.
- Critically examine relations between popular music, society and politics.
- The majority of this focuses on protest music.
- Use Multimodal Discourse Studies, musicology and ethnography.
Digital Popular Culture and protest
- Examines protest politics in digital popular culture.
- Uses Critical Discourse Analysis to analyse political protest in ‘Digital popular culture’, such as music videos, memes and parodies shared on social media.
News and political discourse
- web-based and traditional journalism in a variety of contexts and political discourses.
- Nationalism and identity explored.
- Turkish, BBC, Cypriot news
- Uses CDA and MCDS.
Project: Discourse Analytical Approach
This is a chapter for the 3rd edition of the Handbook of Media and Communication Research from Routledge. It is a chapter with the remit to illustrate a discourse-analytical (and other textual approaches) to media with an emphasis on factual genres.