I was born and raised in Wiesbaden/Germany, and trained in Anaesthesia / Pain Medicine in Wuerzburg/Germany, and the UK (Oxford, UCL), and in post-trauma immunology at Harvard Medical School, Boston, US.
I was appointed in 2007 Consultant in Pain Medicine at the Liverpool Walton Centre, one of the UK's three largest Centers for Pain Medicine. In 2008 I obtained the position as Senior Lecturer (Assistant Professor) for Pain Medicine at the University of Liverpool (tenured 2013).
I work in clinical Pain Medicine with about 50% of my time, including outpatient settings, operating lists, and as member of the Pain Management Program team.
My research has focused on understanding the role of the adaptive immune system in causing severe chronic pain. I have developed the concept of ‘autoantibody-pain’ based on results from our laboratory work in Liverpool. Our team has been testing immune-modulating treatments, particularly for the group of patients with the rare, longstanding Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). We have developed novel recruitment technologies to make such trials possible, and are worldwide leaders in this field.
I have been chairing the UK interdisciplinary CRPS Guidelines Group, under the Umbrella of the UK Royal College of Physicians, which has published its first guidance in May 2012. I am also Director or the Liverpool Pain Research Institute, a cross-departmental Institute within the University of Liverpool, which supports and networks researchers in Pain Medicine in Liverpool and North-West UK. https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/pain-research-institute/
- Workshop (Invitation to Speak, WIP 2016)
- Plenary (Invitation to Speak, NI Pain Society 2016)
- Workshop (Invitation to Speak, IASP 2016)
- Plenary (Invitation to Speak, Irish FPM 2015)
- Study Day Convenor (Invitation to Perform, FPM RCA 2015)
- Workshop (Invitation to Speak, EFIC 2015)
- Plenary (Invitation to Speak, Neuromodulation Societies 2015)
- Plenary (Invitation to Speak, BSCN 2015)
- 1st Price (IASP SIG CRPS 2013)
- Leadershiop Award (CSL 2012)