Police registration

If you are arriving in the UK from a listed country, you will have to register with the police when you arrive.

Check if your country is listed

Registering with the police if you are self-isolating

You must normally register with the police within seven days of arriving in the UK. However, please note that you will not be required to register with the police during your quarantine (self-isolation) period but should contact your local police force during this time to book the next available appointment or to explain your situation.

How to register

OVRO appointments from 27 September 2021 until 5 November 2021 will be held at:

Liverpool Guild of Students
160 Mount Pleasant
Liverpool, L3 5TR.

Please follow the Merseyside Police online portal to make an appointment to see us.

Please note that Covid-19 social distancing is in place and will be enforced.

If you cannot attend an appointment at the time you have booked you MUST re-arrange the appointment. Do not just turn up late or very early as you will not be seen. Please also behave appropriately and respectfully towards police staff. 

If you have any questions, please contact Merseyside Police or call 0151 777 5407 and leave a voicemail.

Opening times for appointments: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.30pm. 

Please note that they are particularly busy in October, around the start of the academic year.

Please see their full checklist of what to bring with you to your appointment.

Outside of the dates above, you must register at:

Overseas Visitor Records Office
Wavertree Road Police Station
Wavertree Road
L7 1RJ

They are open (by appointment only):

Monday to Friday - 9.30am to 3.30pm.

Visit the Merseyside Police webpages to book an appointment and to find out where to go.

If you have any problems with trying to register with the police please contact OVRO@merseyside.police.uk.

When you register you will be given a Police Registration Certificate. Keep this safe.

What to bring with you

Whether you’re visiting for the first time or registering a change in your circumstances, use this checklist to make sure you bring all the relevant documents.

Please note that Covid-19 social distancing is in place and will be enforced.

Keeping your registration certificate up-to-date

If your situation should change, you must report some changes to the Police.

You must report any of the following changes within eight days:

  • Change of address
  • Change of college/university/course
  • Change of occupation
  • Change in marital status
  • New landing conditions (re-entry visa)
  • New passport details
  • Children born whilst you are in the UK
  • Exemption from police registration.

All changes must be done in person; they cannot be done by telephone or email. If you do not update your certificate it will be viewed as a breach of your visa and can have serious consequences, including a fine and/or prison.

You must ensure that your certificate contains your current address if you have one and will be submitting it with your Student visa application. If it does not have your address, and you cannot update it before your visa expires, please contact the IAG.

Registering dependents

If your dependants are 16 years or older, and of the same nationality as you or are nationals of another country listed on the Merseyside Police website, then they will need to register.

If they need to register this will be written on their visas or visa decision letter.

When they register, they will need to provide their passport and visa.

If you lose or damage your certificate

If you lose or damage you will need to apply for another certificate.

If your certificate is stolen you must report this to the Police as soon as possible.

The replacement will cost you another £34, and you will need to take the same information and documents as listed above.

Speak to a International Advice and Guidance advisor

If you are unable to find an answer to your query on our web pages email iagteam@liverpool.ac.uk or book an online confidential one-one appointment.