Professor Soraya Shirazi-Beechey BSc., PhD,HonAssocRCVS
Professor of Molecular Physiology and Biochemistry Infection Biology & Microbiomes
- +44 (0)151 794 4255 / +44 (0)151 794 4255 Ext. 4255
- Work email Spsb@liverpool.ac.uk
- Personal Websitehttps://www.liverpool.ac.uk/infection-veterinary-and-ecological-sciences/staff/soraya-shirazi-beechey/
2019 (December) Joint meeting of Nutrition Society-Royal Society of Medicine-British Society of Gastroenterology and British Association of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. Symposium title: Sensing and signalling of the gut environment, lecture entitled: Nutrient and non-nutrient sensing and signalling in the gastrointestinal tract, London, UK.
2018 (December) 18th international Congress of Endocrinology (ICE 2018), Symposium title GPCRs in the gastrointestinal tract, lecture entitled “Taste receptors in the gastrointestinal tract” Cape Town, South Africa
2018 (July) Annual meeting of ASAS-CSAS on Comparative Gut Physiology, Organiser and an invited speaker, title of the symposium and lecture “Taste perception throughout evolution and life”.
2017 (September) 39th ESPEN Congress on Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism, Symposium title: Sensory perception through the course of life , the lecture entitled “Nutrient sensing and signalling in the gastrointestinal tract” The Hague, The Netherlands.
2017 (July) Annual meeting of ASAS-CSAS on “Comparative gut Physiology” the talk entitled “ Role of nutrient sensors in secretion of satiety hormones regulating appetite”, Baltimore, Maryland.
2016 (September) 37th Western Nutrition Conference “Luminal nutrient sensing” Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
2016 (September) XXVI Congress of European Chemoreception Research Organisation, Nutritional chemosensing and food intake regulation, Athens, Greece
2016 (May) Vitafoods Europe, Health and industry impacts of Satiety-Enhancing and Health Promoting Foods, Geneva Switzerland
2015 (September) International conference on “High intensity sweeteners” West Lafayette, Indiana
2015 (July) Joint Meeting of American Animal and Dairy Sciences “Nutrient and non-nutrient sensing and signalling in the gastrointestinal tract” Orlando, Florida
2014 (September): European Workshop in Equine Nutrition “The impact of nutrition on metabolism” Leipzig, Germany
2014(July): The Rank Prize Funds Symposium “Gut Hormones and Nutrition” Grasmere, UK
2013 (May): 33rd Blankenese conference “Nutrient sensing: From Brain to Gut, Hamburg-Blankenese, Germany.
2012 (November): Workshop in “Molecular metabolism and Endocrinology”, Aarhus, Denmark.
2012 (August): 63rd Annual meeting of European Association of Animal Sciences, ‘Nutrient sensing and signalling in the gastrointestinal tract’. Bratislava, Slovakia.
2012 (June): 16th International meeting on “Olfaction and taste”, Stockholm, Sweden.
2011 (December): International Conference on “Gut communication with its environment, from basic research to practical applications”, Paris, France.
2011 (September): Physiological Society Conference on “Epithelial Receptors, Signalling and Secretion”, Manchester, UK.
2011 (July): Symposium on “Nutrient and neuroendocrine regulation of gastrointestinal function”, American Society of Animal Sciences, New Orleans, USA.
2010 (July): American, and Canadian Societies for Animal Sciences, Denver, Colorado, USA; “ Nutrient and non-nutrient sensing and signalling in the gastrointestinal tract” and “Re-thinking equine nutrition”.
2010 (June): The Rank Prize Funds symposium on “Nutrient sensing and signalling”, Grasmere, UK.
2010 (June): Irish Nutrition Society, symposium on “Nutrition and gut health”, Coleraine, Northern Ireland.
2010 (May): GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, lecture entitled “Glucose sensing and regulation of intestinal glucose transport”, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.
2010 (May): American Oils Chemical Society, Symposium entitled “Food-body interactions”, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
2010 (March): Physiological Society and AstraZeneca focused symposium on “Towards an understanding of the enteroendocrine system”, Macclesfield, UK.
2009 (August): International meeting of Neurogastroenterology and Motility, “Enteroendocrine signalling within the gut-brain axis”, chair and invited lecture, Chicago, USA.
2009 (July): International Union of Physiological Sciences, symposium on “Nutrient sensing and signalling in response to a meal”, chair and invited lecture, Kyoto, Japan.
2009 (October): Diet, Digestion and Health symposium, lecture entitled: “Nutrient sensing in the gastrointestinal tract”, Manchester, UK.
2008 (July): Plenary lecture on “Molecular basis of dietary induced colic in the horse” Colic Symposium, British Equine Veterinary Association meeting, Liverpool, UK.
2007(July): Life Sciences Meeting (Joint meeting of the Biochemical, Physiological and Pharmacological Societies), “Nutrient sensing and signalling in the gastrointestinal tract”, Glasgow, UK.
2007 (April): Association for Chemoreception Sciences, 29th Annual meeting, on: “Glucose sensing and regulation of intestinal glucose transport”. Sarasota, Florida, USA.
2006 (July): Brain-Gut meeting, “The Vagus and Homeostasis”, Oxford, UK.
2006 (May): American Gastroenterology Association meeting symposium on “Glucose transport and glucose sensing in the gastrointestinal tract; physiology and pathophysiology”, Los Angeles, USA.
2005 (July): Symposium on “Nutrient sensing and gut-brain axis”, Manchester, UK.
2004 (September): The Biochemical Society Focused meeting on “Nutrient sensing through the plasma membrane of eukaryotic cells”. Cirencester, UK.
2004 (January): International conference on “Epithelial transport and its regulation: From ion channel gating to coupled transport system expression”, Valdivia, Chile.
2003 (May): American Gastroenterological Association meeting, symposium on “Adaptive response of gut epithelium in short bowel syndrome”, San Francisco, USA.
2001 (August): American Chemical Society symposium on “Food components and gene expression”, Chicago, USA.
2001 (August): International Conference on “Membrane transporters, from identification to drug discovery” Interlaken, Switzerland.
2001 (March): Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology (FASEB) symposium on “Adaptive regulation of epithelial solute transporters” Orlando, USA.
2001 (January): The Rank Prize Fund Meeting on “Nutrient Transport”, Grasmere, UK.
2000 (May): American Gastroenterology Association, Digestive Diseases Week, “Nutrient regulation of gene expression” San Diego, USA.
1999 (October): Aventis Pharma GMBH Research Conference on “Ion Channels and Transporters”; Bad Soden, Frankfurt.
1999 (May): Baylor College of Medicine; Children Nutrition Research Center, Houston Texas and Texas A & M University, conference on “Role of monocarboxylic acid transporter in salvage of undigested carbohydrates”.
1998 (October): 110th Falk Symposium, Gastrointestinal week on “Intestinal mucosa and its diseases - pathophysiology and clinic”, Titisee, Germany.
1997 (December): 664th Meeting of the Biochemical Society, symposium on “The gut as a site of modulation in macronutrient metabolism”, Reading, UK.
1997 (April): 661st Meeting of the Biochemical Society, symposium on “Structure, function and regulation of glucose transporters”, Bath, UK.
1997 (March): United Arab Emirates, Faculty of Medicine, Al-Ain, and Veterinary Institute, Dubai, The British Council Visiting Scholar, lectures on “Physiology and patho-physiology of intestinal glucose absorption”.
1996 (September): 45th Harden Conference on “Gastrointestinal Function in Health & Disease” Wye, Kent, UK.
1996 (June): 29th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, symposium on “Brush border membrane proteins” Munich, Germany.
1995 (December): 657th Meeting of the Biochemical Society, symposium on “Nutrient regulation of gene expression” Aberdeen, UK.
1995 (October): IV International Symposium on “Molecular basis of cellular communication” Wurzburg, Germany.
1995 (September): International Society of Nephrology Forefront “Phosphate”, Seelisberg, Switzerland.
1995 (July): 1st Joint Meeting of The Nutrition Society and l'Association Francaise de Nutrition, Plenary Symposium on “Glucose transporters in the control of metabolism” Aberdeen, UK.
1994 (September): VIII International Symposium on “Ruminant physiology” Willingen, Germany.
1994 (April): 650th Meeting of the Biochemical Society, symposium on “Mechanism and regulation of sugar Transport”, Cardiff, UK.
1994 (April): XXVI Congress of the Spanish Society of Physiological Sciences “Glucose transporters” Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
1993 (March): 2nd International Meeting on “Mammalian brush border membrane proteins” Königswinter, Germany.
1991 (June): The Physiological Society Symposium; “Sodium-coupled transport processes: mechanisms and functions”, Dundee.
1990 (November): The Third International Conference of Gastro-enteric Biology, “Regulation of intestinal nutrient transport” Chicago, USA.
- Gut as a sensing organ, by Invitation ( Pancosma SA, 2010)
- Nutrient and non-nutrient sensing and regualtion of gastrointestinal functions, by Invitation (Annual Meeting of American, Canadian and Mexican Societirs for Animal Sciences, 2010)
- Lecture entitled "Nutrient sensing & signalling in gastrointestinal tract", by Invitation (Rank Prize Meeting on "Nutrient sensing and signalling" Windermere, UK, 2010)
- "Glucose sensing and signalling and regulation of equine intestinal glucose transport", by Invitation (American Society of Animal Sciences Annual Meeting, Session on: “Re-thinking equine nutrition”, 2010)
- Lecture entitled "Gut-expressed sweet taste receptor and regulation of intestinal glucose transport", by Invitation (101st AOCS Annual meeting entitled "Food-Body Interactions" Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 2010)
- Session on: “influences of food constituents on gut health”, by Invitation (Nutrition Society, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, 2010)
- Lecture entitled "Gut-expressed sweet taste receptor and regulation of glucose transport", by Invitation (Physiological Society & Astra Zeneca themed meeting on 'Metabolism and Endocrinology, Macclesfield UK, 2010)
- Lecture entitled "Nutrient sensing & signalling in the gut", by Invitation (GI Science - School of Translational Medicine, Manchester, UK, 2009)
- Lecture entitled: “Adaptive response of equine gut epithelium to a change in diet”. , by Invitation (Division of Equine Nutrition and Microbiology, Dijon, France , 2009)
- Symposium on: “Enteroendocrine signalling within gut-brain axis”, by Invitation (International meeting of Neurogastroentrology and Motility, Chicago, USA, 2009)
- Symposium on “Nutrient sensing and signalling in response to a meal”, by Invitation (36th Congress of International Union of Physiological Sciences, Kyoto, Japan, 2009)
- Lecture entitled "Gut reaction to a sweet sensation", by Invitation (Department of Veterinary Physiology, University of Hannover, Germany, 2008)
- Invited speaker at inauguration of exhibition on 'Nutrition and Research, a dialogue' , by Invitation (Musee de l'alimentation (Nestle Food Museum) Vevey, Switzerland, 2008)
- World Journal of Gastroenterology (Editorial Board Member, 2007 - present)
Other Administrative or Committee Roles
- Head of the Epithelial Function and Developent Group