Postgraduate Research Studentships

The ARU provides a uniquely friendly and stimulating research environment for a mix of full- and part-time postgraduate students, research associates and guest researchers from all over the world. The academic staff, researchers and students are based in office space which is adjacent to the acoustic laboratories with a large central meeting area.

The ARU focuses on research, which means that experimental research work in the laboratories generally takes priority over consultancy; something that is rare to find in universities nowadays. Researchers in the ARU come from a variety of backgrounds including physics, mechanical engineering, architecture, building physics, mathematics, electrical and electronic engineering.

Postgraduate study in the ARU to gain a PhD or MPhil in acoustics is available either full-time or part-time, with registration in either the Faculty of Engineering or the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences depending on PhD topic and your preference.

To be admitted to postgraduate study you will need a good honours degree in an appropriate subject.

  • For UK and EU students that are coming towards the end of their first degree or Master’s degree and are interested in doing a full-time PhD in acoustics then please get in contact before January as it may be possible to apply for an EPSRC Doctoral Training Grant which can provides fees (UK and EU) and stipend (UK only).
  • For prospective PhD students (UK, EU and International) that are self-funded or will be funded by your employer, please get in contact if you wish to discuss potential research topics.
  • For prospective PhD students (UK, EU and International) that are applying for a scholarship to fund the PhD, please get in contact well before your scholarship deadline.
  • For UK students, potential sources of funding for post-graduate studies can be found on websites such as
  • EU and International students will need a suitable qualification in the English Language that is obtained either before coming to Liverpool or in the Applied English Language Studies Unit of the University before starting your research.

Funded projects from research councils or the EU that require the recruitment of research assistants or research students are either advertised on this web page, or on and the University web site. These are usually PhD studentships, post-graduate research posts, or post-doctoral research posts.

Contact: Professor Carl Hopkins (+44 (0) 151 794 4938,