Advice and guidance
We are here to help all staff and teams across the University with all aspects of information and records management, including:
- How to implement relevant policies and procedures, including the Information Management Policy and the Records Retention Schedule (accessible via Tulip)
- Advice and practical support on best practice, for example, filing systems, version control and avoiding duplication
- Guidance notes on specific topics
- Training and/or bespoke support on request for specific issues or projects'
Assistance with projects
“Departments can request help from students on the Master of Archives and Records Management (MARM) course based in the Department of History. Once a year (usually in March or April), students embark on a project week, supported by their lecturers and Information & Records Management staff, which involves visits to University departments to advise on their record-keeping. This can be a useful starting point for addressing a specific recordkeeping challenge facing your area, or for making general improvements with ongoing support from Information & Records Management. If you are interested in taking part, then please get in touch with the Information & Records Management Team who will direct you to the relevant contact.
The University Staff Development programme also periodically offers courses relating to office management. Further details are available from the Staff Training and Development Programme webpage.
Records Liaison Officers
We are currently developing a system whereby each work area of the University will have a Records Liaison Officer. The main responsibilities of a Records Liaison Officer are:
- Maintain and promote/enhance best practice in records and information management for their Faculty/ Institute/ School/ Professional Services area
- Act as a central point of contact for colleagues to access Information & Records Management services
- Maintain and develop knowledge of records management and institutional requirements in this area
You can view the RLOs in your area on Tulip by selecting “Create a request to have records destroyed, or to send records to Records Management”, but please note that you do not need to create a request in order to view RLOs in your area. If this is blank, then your area does not yet have an RLO. Please contact us if you would like to appoint a Records Liaison Officer for your area.