Invited seminar presentations
Here you'll find details of some of the seminars and presentations given by members of the Impacts 08 team - locally, nationally, and internationally.
For presentations taking place post 2010, please consult the Institute of Cultural Capital events page.
- On 24th March Impacts 08 Director Dr Beatriz Garcia was a plenary speaker at the European Commission international conference marking the 25th anniversary of European Capitals of Culture. Dr Garcia presented the Impacts 08 research framework and major research findings and discussed key research legacies for future European Capitals of Culture. View presentation.
- Workshop of our European Capitals of Culture Policy Group in Liverpool. Project partners worked on shaping the recommendations which will be presented in Brussels in July 2010.
- Presentation on 'Capturing the impacts from Liverpool 08 Capital of Culture year' at The Evaluation Conference 2009 in London.
- Contribution to a Culture & Development workshop at the Ravello Lab 09 forum in Italy, looking at actions, tools and projects for the European Cohesion Policy.
- Presentation at 'Culture is Right' conference in London. Other speakers inluded Ed Vaizey, Alan Davey and Tony Hall. View presentation.
- Keynote presentation at Revitalising Built Environments: Requalifying Old Places for New Uses in Istanbul. View presentation.
- Presentation at the Tourism Management Institute's Annual Convention 2009: Regeneration, Re-invention, Recession in Liverpool. View presentation.
- Panel on 'Culture and regional development' at the European Culture Forum in Brussels. See the programme. Download the concluding reports. View Beatriz Garcia's presentation.
- Keynote speech at the EU National Institutes of Culture special seminar on European Year of Creativity and Innovation in Amsterdam. View presentation.
- Keynote and plenary round table at a European Capital of Culture event at the International University Menendez Pelayo in Santander.
- Presentation on Citizen Participation at the European Capitals of Culture Cordoba ECoC 2016 conference.
- Participation in the second AHRC/ACE impact workshop on the impact of arts and audience experiences, which explored the physical aspect of audience engagement, in particular in open air environments.
- Presentation and participation in a panel discussion with Bailie Liz Cameron, Glasgow City Council, and Mary Miller, Artistic Director of Stavanger 2008 in 'The Role of Culture in City Transformation' session at the Stavanger Innovation Summit conference.
- Presentation to delegates from the Helsinki City Board at Liverpool Maritime Museum.
- Participation in round table discussion at London 2012 Volunteers event.
- Presentation and closing plenary session at Capitalising on Culture, a conference organised by Artichoke at the Bluecoat Arts Centre to discuss the legacy of the Liverpool ECoC year. View presentation.
- Participation in State of Legacy panel discussion at Cornerhouse, Manchester, exploring the long-term cultural, social, economic and environmental legacy of significant cultural and sporting events on cities around the world.
- Presentation to IOC think tank seminar organised by the Olympic Games Department for the IOC in Lausanne, Switzerland to discuss the evolution of the Games and to benchmark against other events such as the Liverpool 2008 ECoC.
- Presentation to DCMS Olympic Programme Board stakeholder meeting on participation and community engagement, followed by presentation and Q&A session with DCMS staff.
- Presentation and discussion on Impacts 08 research at Regional / Urban Development and Culture event, University of Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Participation in a workshop on Urban Development and Culture organised by the Foundation for Urban Projects and Research in cooperation with the EU 'A Soul for Europe' initiative, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Chairing the first AHRC/ACE impact workshop on the impact of arts and audience experiences: ‘Experiencing Arts in Virtual Environments’ (held jointly with the EPSRC-funded Innovative Media for a Digital Economy research cluster), Liverpool.
- Speaking at informal ‘pub art’ event: impacts of arts on cities panel discussion coordinated by the Baltic Vision Group, Vilnius.
- Keynote speaker at joint conference organised by Vilnius 09 and the British Council on the impact and evaluation of European Capitals of Culture. View presentation.
- Keynote speaker at Audiences Yorkshire conference Brand You: Creating an irresistible brand, Halifax. View presentation.
- European Network of Cultural Administration Training Centers seminar on European statistics, Brussels.
- 'Public Culture and Festivals’ workshop for EU Framework 7 funded project on Art Festivals and European Public Culture, Vienna.
Member of panel discussion following lecture by Andy Burnham on the legacy of Liverpool’s year as European Capital of Culture to invited audience at University of Liverpool.
- Session 1 - Policy and and Strategy, at the Fourth National Creative Industries Conference, 'Creative Cities', Liverpool (December).
- 'Liverpool as Capital of Culture: Impacts and Effects', in Looking in on the City session at the BA Festival of Science, Liverpool (September).
- ‘Symbolic maps of Liverpool 2008. Capturing conflicting narratives to understand the meaning(s) of culture-led regeneration’, Keynote at Leisure Studies Association Conference, Liverpool John Moores University (July).
- ‘Models of culture-led regeneration. Past, present and future trends’, Keynote at French-British Planning Group Meeting, Lille (June).
- ‘The Impacts 08 research programme. Understanding the multiple impacts of hosting the European Capital of Culture’, Keynote at Eurocities Culture Forum, Liverpool (June ).
- Urban Myths? Stories of Liverpool as European Capital of Culture 2008', Keynote at Centennial Dinner of the Royal Society of Arts, RSA, Belfast (May).
- ‘Branding the European Capital of Culture. Understanding the image impact of Liverpool 2008’, Keynote at Polish Cities and Regions Promotion Festival, Warsaw (April).
- ‘The creative legacy of the Olympic Games. The symbolic dimension of the Games as a basis for cultural sustainability', at Creative Clusters Conference, in Cultural and Creative Impact of the 2012 Games session hosted by DCMS, London (November).
- ‘The impacts of culture led regeneration’, Royal Society of Arts Lecture Programme, RSA, Liverpool (November).
- 'Northern Urban Renaissance (A Panel Discussion)' as part of Shrinking Cities (November).
- ‘Building on the European Culture Capital as impulse for cultural and creative development’, in: Change through the Cultural Economy. Perspectives of a Sunrise Industry, The State Government of North Rhine-Westphalia, Essen, Germany (September).
- ‘European Capitals of Culture: managing legacy and opportunities’, in: Cities and Cultural Industries in the 21st Century, The Mayor of Istanbul, Istanbul (June).
- ‘Measuring the impact of art programmes. Economic, social, environmental and cultural imperatives’, in: Escultura en la Calle Symposium, Sculpture Network and La Caixa Foundation, Barcelona (May).
‘Social and Cultural Legacy Workshop’, in: Legacy Lives 2007. The international Legacy Conference, UK Sport, London (January).