- How do I open and save files?
- How do I send documents to print?
- How fast does my Internet connection need to be?
- How do I request for an application to be made available on Apps Anywhere?
- There's an error message - what does it mean?
- I have been asked to remove Apps Anywhere from the Citrix Receiver app then reinstate it - how do I do that?
Apps Anywhere provides access to local drives (e.g. C: and your local Documents folder) as well as your University M: drive and other shared network drives, such as departmental drives. This means you can open, edit and save files on your M drive whether you are working from home on a laptop, PC or Mac, on the move on a mobile or tablet device, or on campus using a standalone machine.
Local drives are only accessible if applications are opened via the standalone Citrix Receiver not through the web browser.
You can access your files by navigating to Utilities > Windows Explorer
If you need to map to a shared drive, such as a departmental drive, you can do so by navigating to Utilities > MyDrives
Instructions for using MyDrives to map to shared file space are available on our website.
Apps Anywhere will recognise your default local printer, as well as network printers available on campus. You can therefore print a document to your own printer or to one of the network printers for you to collect when you are ready. If you have multiple local printers installed, and wish to print to one which is not listed in Apps Anywhere, you will need to make it your default printer first.
Apps Anywhere may take a few seconds to launch an application, e.g. Microsoft Office. However, provided that you have a good Internet connection - such as broadband or 3G - any delay should be minimal.
All applications must be certified to run within the Microsoft Windows Server operating system.
- DOS applications cause performance issues and will not be approved to run on Apps Anywhere;
- Windows 16-bit applications will not be approved to run on Apps Anywhere as they are not compatible with the Apps Anywhere server;
- Graphical applications (such as ArcMap, etc.) are permitted but accessing these through a web browser will not result in optimal performance - the Citrix Receiver standalone client is recommended but may also result in performance issues;
- Mathematical, statistical, analytical and other computational intensive programs can only be made available in certain circumstances: please enquire with the CSD Service Desk for advice.
All requests should be made to the CSD Service Desk.
There are a few common alerts you may encounter when accessing Apps Anywhere; this list is by no means comprehensive - if you have any difficulties, please contact the CSD Service Desk:
1. If you are prompted with a security warning asking if you wish to trust the Citrix Systems, Inc applet, please select the Always option to prevent the warning message from appearing again.
2. If you receive an error stating "ICA file not found", you will need to clear your temporary internet files. To do so in Internet Explorer navigate to: Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files
3. If you receive the following message - "ERROR: Your Session with the Web Server has expired. You have been logged out" - it is possible that your privacy settings in your web browser are too high. To change these settings in Internet Explorer navigate to: Tools > Internet Options > Privacy tab > Edit and then enter http://citrix.liv.ac.uk in the Address field and click on Allow. Try to launch Apps Anywhere again using your MWS username and password to log in.
4. Linux users may encounter an error message which reads "You have chosen not to trust the "Thawte Premium Server CA". To fix this error, download ThawteRoot.crt and place it under '/usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts.'
5. Mac users may encounter an "SSL Error:0" message. To resolve this issue, download the root certificates zip file, and extract the contents to Citrix ICA Client\Keystore\cacerts
I have been asked to remove Apps Anywhere from the Citrix Receiver app then reinstate it. How do I do that?
As part of troubleshooting an issue or if there has been a major upgrade to the service, you may need to remove then reinstate Apps Anywhere in the Citrix Receiver app on Windows, Mac or iOS.
To remove Apps Anywhere from the Citrix Receiver app, follow the steps below:
- In your Windows system tray (bottom-right corner of your screen), double-click the Citrix Receiver icon to open Citrix Receiver.
- In the top menu bar of the Citrix Receiver window, click on the down arrow next to your username then select Accounts.
- The Edit Account window opens. Select the University of Liverpool Apps Anywhere account then click Remove.
- At the confirmation prompt, click Remove again. This will remove all settings and leave the Edit Accounts window open.
- To reinstate the account, in the Edit Accounts window click Add then enter the server address https://storefront.liv.ac.uk/ and follow the onscreen instructions. If you are unsure about any steps, full instructions are available.
- Click on the Citrix Receiver icon in the top-right corner of your screen (near the date and time) and select Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, click on the Accounts tab, select the University of Liverpool Apps Anywhere account then click the minus sign to remove it.
- At the confirmation prompt, click OK to go ahead and remove the account.
- To reinstate the account, click the Plus sign then enter the server address https://storefront.liv.ac.uk/ and follow the on-screen instructions. If you are unsure about any steps, full instructions are available.
iOS (iPad, iPhone)
- Open the Citrix Receiver app.
- Tap on the Person icon in the top menu bar.
- Tap i next to the University of Liverpool Apps Anywhere account.
- Tap Delete Account.
- To reinstate the account, tap Add Account, enter the server address https://storefront.liv.ac.uk/ and follow the on-screen instructions. If you are unsure about any steps, full instructions are available.