The Liverpool Internships programme is designed to connect students and recent graduates who are seeking skills-enhancing short-term opportunities with some of the UK's best Small/Medium Enterprises (SMEs). These are companies with fewer than 250 employees - all looking to develop and grow their businesses.
These exclusive opportunities and only open to University of Liverpool students and graduates.
Liverpool Interns offers flexible (up to 100 hours) paid internships for students to complete alongside studies, and for graduates to take on after completion of their course.
To search for the current live opportunities click here and follow the steps to apply in Handshake. You can also filter jobs by the 2023 Liverpool Interns search label on Handshake.
What are the internships?
Every year the Employer Connections Team at Careers and Employability, identify a wide variety of internships in consultation with SME's.
The internships are created according to business need and span a number of areas including marketing, business development, research, education, information technology and health.
All live Liverpool Internships are advertised on Handshake as a job posting
How long are the internships?
All internships are for a total of 100 hours work and can be completed in two ways:
- Part-time around your current course commitments – we recommend a commitment of between 7-10 hours per week
- Carry out the internship during the University’s forthcoming summer vacation period, (June-Sept) when you can work up to full time hours.
Many of the internships are often extended by the SMEs, and there is potential to move from part-time to full-time at the end of an internship experience, but only on request of the employer (SME).
When do the internships start?
Internships will be available throughout Spring/Summer 2023. Start dates will vary according to the needs of individual SME's and successful candidates.
Are the internships paid?
Yes. You will be paid a rate of £11 per hour for a total of 100 hours for each internship through a £1,100 bursary.
Can I source my own internships?
Yes. You can identify your own internship with a Small Business and introduce the company to the Employer Connections Team email@example.com who will explain how the internship/bursary programme works.
Internships can only be with companies who have less than 250 employees
Can I work for an SME elsewhere in the UK?
Yes, internships can be with businesses based anywhere in the UK. The majority of internships on offer will however be based here in the Liverpool City Region.
Who can apply?
Students from any course and year of study, as well as recent graduates.
How do I apply?
- If you'd like to apply for a Liverpool Interns role, please register your interest.
- Part of the registration process requires you to visit the Career Studio, for our Career Coaches to review your CV (most student CVs require various levels of improvement), before you will be allowed to be considered for the internships/projects on offer.
- Once we feel your CV is suitable to be considered, apply the roles directly through Handshake - most will require you to submit your CV with a Cover Letter, via the Employer Connections Team
As part of this initiative and to be considered for this internship we require students to (if you have not already done so), to:
- Use the 3-step CV program through CV360 to make sure that your CV showcases your full potential.
- Visit the Career Studio to have your CV reviewed by a Career Coach, to ensure your CV reflects your skills & capabilities - not all candidate CVs will be referred to the company for consideration, it’s a competitive process.
The Career Studio is situated in the Alsop Building, located on the University Square, and is open Monday-Friday 10.00am to 5.00pm, you don’t need an appointment, just call in!
Our Career Coaches can help you with every aspect of the recruitment process, including setting up a mock interview for you. Just ask for further details
Back to: Careers and Employability