Latest news and visa guidance

Information for EU/EEA/Swiss students

Please see below a presentation delivered on Wednesday 25th November 2020 for EU/EEA/Swiss students at the University. This presentation informs students how to protect their status in the UK due to Brexit, or what visa they will require if they are not resident in the UK prior to the end of the Brexit transition period on 31st December 2020. 

Details of New UK Immigration System published (11th Sept 2020)

The UK government published further details of a new immigration system that will be applicable for visa applications made from 9am on 5th October 2020. For further information please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs student news item here.

Please note the information on our webpages currrently refers to the old immigration sytem. Although the majority will stay the same, there will be some changes which we will update as soon as full guidance is issued from the UK government, which we expect to be near the time of the new system starting. 

Covid-19 concessions - If you're inside the UK

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have recently announced concessions for those who are unable to travel as a result of the recent COVID-19 outbreak, for details please see the UK government website here.  

Covid-19 information - If you’re outside the UK

Most UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) have resumed service where local restrictions allow following closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic. For updates to the status of VACs in your country, contact:

  • TLS contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East
  • VFS global for all other countries

For more information visit 

If you have any further questions contact our team at  

Tier 4 (General) visa

Our pages provide detailed advice on making a Tier 4 (General) student visa application from both inside and outside the UK. Click on the links on the left hand side for more information. 

Please read our Tier 4 Guide for Students for information about your rights and responsiiblities as a Tier 4 (General) visa holder and the University of Liverpool's responsibilites as your Tier 4 Sponsor. 

Other visas

In addition to this, we provide guidance on the visa your family members will need if they wish to join you in the UK, information on employment visas if you wish to work in the UK after your studies, advice on the Schengen visa (required if you wish to visit Europe during your stay) and visa advice for family and friends who wish to come and visit you during and after your studies.