Funding for Disabled Students

Other Funding

If you cannot access all of the money you need to do a course from the official or statutory sources, there are charities and trusts which may be able to help you to raise the funds.

Trusts that help disabled students

The following information is taken from the SKILL ' Funding from Charitable Trusts' information booklet. All application forms and further information can be obtained by contacting each trust directly.

TrustHow to apply
The Student Health Association

The Student Health Association runs the Student Disability Assistance Fund.

The fund helps students with disabilities to keep up with their studies.

The maximum amount of each award is £500 and students must be involved in higher education on a full-time or nearly full-time basis.

British Kidney Patient Association One-off grants for renal patients of UK nationality.
Gardner's Trust for the Blind

One off grants for assistive technology, course fees and household equipment for UK citizens living in England or Wales, who are registered blind.

For further information contact:

Angela Stewart
117 Charter House Street

Tel: 0207 2533757

The Graham Rushton Award for visually impaired law students

Graham Rushton was a blind lawyer who left a considerable sum of money to the RNIB as a legacy to be spent on assisting blind and partially sighted law students studying English Law in the United Kingdom.

The award is a grant of around £7,000 for which blind and partially-sighted people can apply. 

The Matthew Trust

One-off grants of between £50 and £250 are given to people who have mental health difficulties- applications made through professionals, key workers, etc.

Multiple Sclerosis Society of Great Britain and Northern Ireland  Grants of up to £600 for people with MS.
Snowdon Award Scheme Bursaries of up to £2,500 for physically disabled students, for equipment, travel, sign language interpreters, note-takers and other disability-related costs not met by statutory bodies.

Closing dates 31 May and 31 August.

Young Person's Grant from the Crohn's and Colitis UK Personal Grants Fund Up to £300 available to people between 15 and 25 years old with Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD).

View these Factsheets for advice on making applications for funding and details of other trusts which provide support not specifically for disabled students.

Personal care needs - "assistance with daily living"

Personal assistance with daily living is the assistance that you might require even when you are not in University, for example, with domestic duties such as cooking, cleaning, shopping, personal hygiene and basic medical needs such as injections.

The University of Liverpool does not provide this type of assistance. We provide study-related support assistance only. However, Disability Advice and Guidance can work with you, external providers and Social Services (if applicable) to provide advice and information about realistic opportunities for arranging suitable local support.

Funding personal care needs

The responsibility to fund your personal care package rests with Social Services within the local authority where you are "ordinarily resident".

Guidance on the identification of the ordinary residence of people in need of community care services, England (March 2010) can be found on the Department of Health website.

If you are not eligible for local authority funding ie international/EU students, it is important that you consider how you will fund your personal care assistance at the earliest opportunity, eg privately, sponsorship, home government funding, charitable trust, and arrange this support prior to starting your studies/research.