Taking time off from your studies

Understand the process of stopping your studies for a while, known as 'suspending your studies' or 'academic suspension'.

We understand there are many reasons for wanting to stop your course for a while, but before you do, we advise you to talk with your school, personal tutor, or supervisor about why you want to suspend your studies. They may be able to offer help and advice that will allow you to carry on with your studies.

If you don’t want to talk to your school, personal tutor, or supervisor, Student Services will be able to offer you confidential help and advice. You can also speak in confidence to a member of the Wellbeing Advice and Guidance team.

If you do want to suspend your studies, you must let us know as soon as possible.

Details on suspending your studies are available on the Student Administration pages.

It is important to understand that suspending your studies will have an impact on your tuition and accommodation fees.


Tuition fees

If you suspend your studies between 10th January and 3rd April, you are charged 50% of the tuition fee.

If you suspend from 4th April you will be charged 100%.

The University will request the relevant amount of tuition fee loan from Student Finance so you do not need to do anything.

Liverpool Bursary

If you receive the Liverpool Bursary, entitlement is linked to tuition fee liability so if you are to be charged 50% tuition fees you will receive 50% of the bursary, if you are charged the full tuition fee you will receive 100% of the bursary payment.

Maintenance loan

Your maintenance loan will be recalculated up to your date of suspension (if you suspend due to illness 60 days will be added to your entitlement).

Student Finance may want you to repay some of your most recent instalment. If so, they will contact you with repayment options.

You should not automatically receive any further maintenance loan payments this academic year. If you are unable to support yourself or receive help from your parents you can apply to Student Finance for discretionary funding. If you would like further information on this please contact Money Advice & Guidance.


University accommodation

If you are in University accommodation and want to be released from your contract, you may be required to give 28-days’ notice.

For information and advice on this and rent rebates please contact accommodation@liverpool.ac.uk.

Private accommodation

If you are in private accommodation you may find it difficult to be released from your contract. For advice on this please contact Liverpool Student Homes.

If you cannot get out of your accommodation contract or you are struggling to find work then you may apply to the University Hardship Fund.

Returning to your studies

When returning to your course, if you have studied previously or you're repeating a year, this can affect your student finance.

If you do not have any previous study, for example, suspended or repeated on this or a previous higher education course, you will be entitled to a 'gift year' of funding and will receive your full maintenance loan and tuition fee loan.

If you have already used your gift year and/or are only going to do part of the year please contact us.

Suspending due to illness or COVID

If you are suspending your studies due to illness or because of Covid related issues, you may wish to apply to Student Finance for Compelling Personal Reasons which can be kept on file should you need to suspend again or repeat in the future. This will ensure that an extra year of tuition fee loan is available.

Speak to a Money Advice and Guidance advisor

If you are unable to find an answer to your query on our web pages email money@liverpool.ac.uk or book an online confidential one-one appointment.