BOOKS, JOURNALS, AND NEWSPAPERS
To perform a keyword search of this page press ctrl (or cmd) and F on a (Mac)
- Anthurium: An online journal of Caribbean and Caribbean disapora literature and culture based at the University of Miami
- The Booker T. Washington Papers: Completely free and searchable site designed to provide researchers worldwide with full access to the thousands of pages comprising this 14-volume printed work, originally published by the University of Illinois Press.
- The Caribbean Review of Books: A quarterly print journal recently relaunched as a bimonthly online review with free access to CRB's entire archive
- Common-place: A free and fully accessible web magazine exploring Early American history and culture before 1900.
- EBSCO Host [Restricted Access]: A site which provides searches of multiple databases for academic abstracts: including Historical Abstracts, Race Relations Abstracts and America: History & Life. Using the CLIO notes option these databases can also be browsed by period and region
- Geography of Slavery in Virginia: A digital collection of advertisements for runaway and captured slaves and servants in 18th- and 19th-century Virginia newspapers.
- History Co-operative e-journals [Restricted Access]: Offering access to top-level online history scholarship currently including free access to the Booker T. Washington papers, soon to be subject to subscription
- JSTOR [Restricted Access]: Provides access to over 1000 scholarly journals
- Making of America Journals: A digital library of primary sources in American social history primarily from the antebellum period through reconstruction. The collection is particularly strong in the subject areas of education, psychology, American history, sociology, religion, and science and technology.
- The Online Books page: A database listing over 35,000 free books which can be accessed online or downloaded as pdfs
- Project Muse [Restricted Access]: A site providing online access to over 200 journals. Abstracts from these journals can be viewed online without subscription
- Project Gutenberg: A database providing direct access to over 30,000 digitised and downloadable ebooks, and over 100,000 through partner projects
- Small Axe: A Caribbean platform for criticism: This site provides access to articles from current, past and upcoming Small Axe journal issues as well as SXspace a platform for creative visual work by Caribbean and Caribbean diasporic artists
- Southern Cultures: an award-winning and peer-reviewed quarterly from UNC’s Center for the Study of the American South. Click here to access their online reading room.
- Sites labelled [Restricted Access] are best accessed via institutional web pages.