Jump to: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, next.

Info on MARLIN

MARLIN dives 2011

16 April: Dublin, Ceylon. sea calm. viz ~4m on Dublin, bad on Ceylon.

29 April: Letty, Speke. calm then lumpier. viz 3m on Letty, 4m on Speke.

26 June: Penstone, Dublin. calm. viz 10m.

25 August: Dublin (viz 6m) Calcium (viz 4-5m), calm, rain shower.

MARLIN dives 2012

1 April: Penstone (viz 8m), Dublin (viz 10m). sunny, NW 3 later, circa 1 ft waves.

14 April: Peru (viz 4m), Coniston (viz 6m). sunny then shower, NE3-4. 1-2ft waves.

Monday 18 June: Letty (current, viz 4-5m), Lelia (slack, viz 7-8m). calm.

Friday 11 Aug: Letty (viz 6m, with floaty bits); Lelia (viz 4m, noisy from pile driving). calm.

Sat 8 Sept from Conwy (Beacons): Boiler wreck (Mermaid) slack; Puffin Island (some current on tip). calm (see pix and journey out/back)

Sat 24 Nov: Calcium (current, viz 10m), Lelia (slack, viz 6m). Calm then E 3-4.

MARLIN dives 2013

Mon 6 May: Dublin (viz 1m or so: plankton). Calm and sunny.

Sun 2 June: Calcium (viz 2-3m, still plankton). Calm, sunny. Viz on Lelia looked poor - so no dive there.
Waverly passed us going from Liverpool to Llandudno
pix

Thurs 29 Aug: Calcium (viz 6m) Lelia (viz 4m). calm then WNW 4, waves (recorded at Bar) 0.6m mostly, 0.8m for a while. See video of Lelia dive.

Sunday 29 Sept. Wind east 5-6 so stay close to shore off Southport: Coniston (waves 2 ft, viz 2 ft); Nazarine (waves <1 ft, viz 3 ft)

Thursday 28 Nov. Wind NW 2-3, waves small. Councellor (2ft viz); Speke (5 ft viz) Julian's Video: I did explain the layout of the Speke - but it's hard to relate to it in poor viz.

MARLIN dives 2014

Monday 5 May from Conwy (Beacons pontoon): Mermaid and Hornby Cave. Viz poor (4ft and 6ft), sea state calm (wind offshore).

Sunday 20 July from Liverpool marina: accompanied by 5 dolphins; dive Alarm (10m viz) and Lelia (7m viz on wreck; less near surface). Sea state slight and no rain. dolphin video

Sat 20 Sept from Liverpool: to avoid poor viz from dredging near Liverpool; we went quite far west: Penrhos (3-4m viz) and Ocean Monarch (5-6m viz). These sites are shallow enough that the seabed is well lit. Weather N 2-3 and mainly overcast.

Thurs 2 Oct: sunny with mainly very light wind. Ocean Monarch (5-6m viz) and Calcium (3-4m viz). These sites are shallow enough that the seabed is well lit. Lots of marine life.

I note that the giant dredger HAM 316 is (from AIS tracks) dumping both at site Z (near yellow spoil buoy due N of Q1 buoy) and at the site close NE of Hamilton rig. This latter site is close to wrecks Munster, Stanleigh, El Oso.

MARLIN dives 2015

Thurs 25 June: Alarm (viz 5-6m) and Lelia (vis 1m); calm. Saw a porpoise. Julian's videos

Sat 27 June: Dublin (5m viz) and Penstone (6m viz); sunny but SW 3 wind with lumpy conditions (0.5m waves at Liv Bar).

Sat 8 Aug: calm (even glassy) and sunny: Dublin (7m viz) and Pennington (7m viz).

MARLIN dives 2016

Friday 15 July: Calcium (5m viz, lots of life); NH01 (3m viz and noisy). Weather mostly overcast with rain squalls: waves 1 ft mostly from SSW but a bit more in squalls,

Sunday 14 August: Dublin (10m viz); Alarm (10m viz). Wind force 2 with waves less than 1 ft. No rain.

Sunday 28 Aug: Hebe (3m viz); Peru (3m viz) [wrecks off Blackpool]. Wind NE -> NW 2; waves less than 1 ft before 5pm.
Some images:
conger; Blackpool Tower beyond Lennox Rig; Manannan passing at some speed.

Monday 12 Sept: Calcium (10m viz); Ceylon (5m viz). Wind SSE 4-5 decreasing SSW 3. Waves 2 ft decreasing 1 ft. Choppy in Mersey.
Some images: lobster; Tompot Blennie; Plumose anemones covering wreck.

Sunday 9 Oct: Dublin (10m viz); Alarm (10m viz). Wind E - NE 2; waves less than 1 ft. Sunny at times. Dolphins. Good weather for October.

MARLIN dives 2017

Liverpool based trips need weather to be stable and HW to be between 5am and 9am. I will contact e-mail list a few days before a possible trip. I have pruned this e-mail list to people who have been out with me during the last few years. If this does not apply but you still want to be included - please e-mail a request to me.
As well as the agressive dredging to widen and deepen the shipping channel for huge container ships, construction work is ongoing on the Burbo Bank windfarm extension: involving lots of seabed activity. (Scheduled to be complete first quarter 2017 according to DONG
website). So dive sites nearby (such as Lelia) may have worse viz than recently.

Wed 19 April [trip on another boat]: calm, Lelia viz 2m or less.

Sunday Oct 1 proposed.
Actual data: wave height at Liverpool Bar reached 1.24 metres by 3:30 pm BST. So correct call to have cancelled.

Sunday 15 October.
SSW 4 gusting more, sunny, 1.0m waves at Bar - 2 ft waves where we dived. Two porpoises seen.
  Obstruction NE of North Hoyle Windfarm (close SW of anchoring area, charted as obst 15.2; sonar image): viz 3m, large pipe found. Some of Paul's photos: 1; 2.
  Ceylon: viz very poor (less than 1 ft).

MARLIN dives 2018

Agressive dredging and windfarm construction has ceased - though some dredging and aggregate extraction is still taking place. Let's hope the viz has returned to previous good levels...

Sunday 8 April. Calm and partly sunny. Seals and dolphins seen. After securing permission from CADW, dive on the RESURGAM at low water, viz 3m or so. Sonar trace from RESURGAM.
Video of Resurgam dive. Another Video of Resurgam dive(from Graeme P) [40Mbyte].
  Second dive on Calcium (viz 5m).

Sunday 24 June. Very sunny and calm. [Boat places not all taken].
Munster (3m viz) ( sonar image);
Councellor (2-3m viz) ( sonar image).
Video from Graeme.

Sat 7 July: very calm and sunny (full boat). Seals seen. Videos from Graeme P.
Calcium: 8m viz. ( sonar image); ( Calcium Video).
Lelia: 3m viz. ( photo), ( Paddle wheel), ( Lelia Video).

Sun 5 Aug: very calm and sunny. Bottlenose dophins rode our bow wave ( Video from Sergio B)- then we met a pod of over 25 of them.
Dublin: 8m viz.
Penstone: 8m viz.

MARLIN dives 2019

Liverpool based trips need weather to be stable and HW to be between 5am and 9am. I will contact e-mail list a few days before a possible trip.

Next

Weather and tide look promising for Sat 13 / Sun 14 April: e-mail list contacted. So far 5 +1 probables - weather for Saturday is looking a bit windier (force 4 SE) - OK if it stays like that. Sunday looks even windier. So decision taken later.
11 April: forecast now SE force 5 - so called off. On 13 April at the Bar there were 0.7m waves - so correct call; and 0.9m waves on 14th..

Most probably June or later.

More on MARLIN trips

List of sites dived

Back to dive index