Government authorised exchange (Temporary Work) visa

This visa has replaced the Tier 5 (temporary worker - government authorised exchange) visa.

How to apply

You can apply for a Government Authorised Exchange (Temporary Work) visa if you:

  • Want to come to the UK for a short time for work experience or to do training, an overseas government language programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme
  • Have a sponsor
  • Meet the other eligibility requirements.

Government authorised exchange (GAE) category “is for those individuals coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements, whilst experiencing the wider social and cultural setting of the United Kingdom.” For more details see the UK government webpage and the schemes are listed in the UK immigration rules here.  

The University of Liverpool uses this route to sponsor researchers to the University, for more details about this please see HR's webpages

Erasmus+ programme

The British Council provides sponsorship under Tier 5 for those coming through the Erasmus+ programme

Speak to a International Advice and Guidance advisor

If you are unable to find an answer to your query on our web pages email or book an online confidential one-one appointment.