Information for current students on the UK leaving the EU

We value our international student community. Every single student at the University contributes to our welcoming and diverse community and we take great pride in offering a truly international experience for all of our students. 

The UK’s decision to leave the European Union means there will be a slightly different long-term future for the University and the Higher Education sector as a whole.

Many of you will have concerns about the impact of a break with the EU. Together with our partners in the sector and Universities UK, we have been doing a significant amount of work to prepare for Brexit. From 31 January 2020 to 31 December 2020, the UK is no longer be a member of the EU but will continue to be subject to EU rules and remain a member of the single market and customs union. This is known as the ‘transition period’ and during this time the UK will negotiate its future trading relationship with the EU.

Advice if you are travelling to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein after 1 January 2021 (applicable to students of all nationalities and at any level of study)

To ensure that your trip goes smoothly, you should take the following actions where applicable:

  • Check your British passport.

On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

This means you may need to renew your British passport earlier than you usually would.  You can use the UK Government’s online tool to check your passport status for travelling to Europe.

  • Check if you need a visa or permit to travel

Depending on how long you are due to stay abroad in Europe and what activity you are undertaking, you may need a visa or permit to travel to EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland after the 1st January 2021.  You should check the individual country’s travel advice page for information on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s website well in advance of your planned travel date.

At border control, you may need to:

  • show a return or onward ticket
  • show you have enough money for your stay

You will also need to:

  • Ensure you have appropriate health insurance

Log on to Liverpool Life and apply for free, comprehensive travel insurance from the University.  Once your application is approved, you will be emailed an insurance certificate, and you must carry this certificate with you in case you need medical assistance whilst abroad.  UK nationals should note that their European Health Insurance Card will no longer be valid after Brexit

Practical matters

  • Check you have the right driving documents

You may need extra driving documents after Brexit.  You might need an international driving permit (IDP).  If you’re taking your own car, you might also need a ‘green card’ or valid proof of insurance and a GB sticker.

  • Check with your phone operator about roaming charges

From 1 January 2021, free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.  Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges.

  • Do some financial planning

If you are changing Sterling into Euros, be aware that there may be fluctuations in the value of different currencies.   It may be more expensive to pay by card from a UK bank account for items or services you have bought in the EU.

Sign up for Foreign and Commonwealth Guidance

If you have any queries about your trip, please contact your School Student Support/Teaching Support Office 

Immigration status in the UK

Irish Students

Brexit does not affect your status in the UK. There is no action you need to take regarding your immigration status. If you would like to read further about the arrangements between the UK and Ireland please see here:

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals

Students who have resided in the UK prior to 31st December 2020 are eligible to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme to protect your status in the UK. The deadline to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme is 31st June 2021.

For further details please see the International Advice & Guidance webpage here:

We would strongly advise you to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme as soon as possible.

If you are travelling outside the UK we would advise you to carry your passport to show the immigration officer on arrival back to the UK, rather than just your national ID card.

Other nationalities

Brexit does not affect your UK immigration status or the immigration rules that apply to you if travelling to EU/EEA/Switzerland.


EU students applying for 2021 entry

Following the end of the UK’s transition period on 31 December 2020, EU students joining in the academic year 2021-22 and beyond will become subject to international fees. Please see the information on our international webpages for details of fees by subject area. EU students who began their studies in the academic year 2020/21 will continue to be classed under the current arrangements for the duration of their course. Please note, if you apply for study in 2020 and choose to defer entry to 2021, you may be subject to the 2021 fee system. We are currently reviewing the range of scholarships and bursaries we offer to EU students.


The University’s Advice and Guidance Team is on hand to offer support. Email: or call +44(0)151 795 1000.

If you are considering a period abroad in the EU through Erasmus+

The UK’s participation in the new Erasmus+ Programme, which begins at the start of the academic 2021/22, is part of the ongoing  EU-UK negotiations.

In the event that the UK does not participate in the new Erasmus+ programme (2021/22 onwards), the University is guaranteeing that no University of Liverpool students, due to study or work abroad in the EU in the period until (and including) 2022/23 will be financially worse off as a result of the UK leaving the Erasmus programme. This includes applicants to language programmes at the University.

The University of Liverpool will continue its positive relationships with its European university exchange partners. We are committed to sending our students on exchange to our EU partners, and to welcoming students from those partners to our campus for periods of exchange, whether within or without the Erasmus scheme. 

The Study Abroad Team can be contacted on +44 (0)151 795 5508.