Cedar House refurbishment | Stay in the loop
Planning approval for these exciting building works was secured in October 2018 and following the appointment of contractor the John Turner Construction Group (JTCG), work started at the end of that year. Completion is scheduled for Semester 1, 2019/20.
The Project LIVE Manager, Mark Garner, will keep these webpages updated throughout the work over the next 10 months as Cedar House is completely refurbished, so you can check the refurbishment update page at anytime to stay acquanited with progress.
Project LIVE | What this means for Cedar House
This campus investment programme is focussed on enhancing the learning and social environment within the School, both within Cedar House, and also in respect of ensuring priority access for Medicine students to modern lecture theatre facilities.
The plans are informed by feedback gained from the student survey conducted in the last academic year.
Away from Cedar House, the School has also secured priority access to one of the brand new lecture theatres within the new teaching hub on central campus for 2018/19.
Have you watched the Project LIVE podcast?
It gives a great overview of the Cedar House developments, in just a few moments.
Key aspects of the project include:
- a new ground floor extension
- the creation of a new student hub, with dedicated social spaces, where you can meet friends, relax and socialise
- the creation of separate study areas on the ground floor, with IT facilities
- enhanced teaching spaces across all six floors
- a redeveloped courtyard space
- use of contemporary design and stylish furniture to create a light, spacious and comfortable environment
- improved access and connections between the student hub and the redeveloped courtyard
The redevelopment of Cedar House is about more than bricks and mortar. It is about creating a supportive, vibrant community of practitioners that includes students, staff, and alumni as well as our NHS colleagues, in an environment that feels and delivers a superb space for medical training.Professor Hazel Scott, Dean, School of Medicine
Walk-through | Student Hub
Watch now: Artist’s impression video of the new Student Hub, which will incorporate contemporary design and stylish furniture and provide a light and spacious area where students can relax and socialise.
Back to: School of Medicine