Extra Financial Help for Disabled Students
Disabled students may be entitled to claim extra financial help in addition to standard student finance packages while studying, e.g. state benefits, University access to learning funds and Disabled Student Allowances (DSA).
Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)
This non means-tested allowance is intended to help with additional expenditure for the costs of study-related requirements that you may have as a result of your disability.
DSA can help fund:
- Specialist Equipment e.g. computers, dictaphones, software, ergonomic equipment, etc.
- Non-Medical Helpers e.g. specialist dyslexia tuition, sign language interpreters, note takers, mobility support, mentors etc.
- General Expenses e.g. extra books, photocopying, Braille paper, USB's, printer cartridges etc.
- Extra Travel Costs
The DSA Hub (www.thedsahub.co.uk) is a resource which provides access to:
1. A DSA Assessment Centre Locator complete with contact details and website links, searchable by the students post code
2. A Disability Officer Search for each College and University in the country
3. Information regarding the whole DSA process
4. A forum for students to communicate with each other