Students with caring responsibilities

A carer is someone who provides unpaid care for a family member, partner or friend with an illness, disability, mental health condition or addiction, who ordinarily wouldn’t be able to cope without the carer’s support.

At the University of Liverpool we are committed to supporting students with caring responsibilities both prior to and during their course.  We’re aware that students with caring responsibilities may sometimes have additional support needs and we wish to ensure that students have access to that support, we’re also aware that not every student with caring responsibilities wants to access additional support and are under no obligation to do so.

To help you Student Welfare Advice and Guidance can offer the following:

  • Central point of contact in the University who can liaise with other University departments.
  • Liaising with the University Accommodation Office or Private Landlord over accommodation problems.
  • Financial advice regarding statutory funding, budgeting and the University Hardship Fund.
  • Direct to and liaise with Local Carer’s Centre.
  • Someone to talk to when you need it.
  • Refer to named contact within academic school to discuss any additional support needs which are maybe required to assist with your studies.

In addition the University offers a bursary for Young Adult Carers:

The Young Adult Carer’s Bursary is for students aged 18 – 25 on 1 September in their year of entry and is worth £1,000 for each year of study. To be eligible you must have been in receipt of Carers’ Allowance prior to the start of the course or engaged with your local Carer’s Centre or YAC Services as a registered carer and produce evidence to confirm this. If you’ve not been involved with a formal service it may be possible for us to accept written evidence of your status from a medical professional or teacher/tutor. To apply for this bursary please contact Money Advice and Guidance This bursary is for UK Undergraduate students who apply for the bursary in their year of entry.

Full-time students are not eligible to claim Carer’s Allowance, if you have claimed prior to starting your course you should notify the Job Centre and this benefit will cease.

For details on any of the above please email or telephone 0151 795 1000.

Widening Participation

The Widening Participation and Outreach team provides a range of opportunities for Young Adult Carers to engage with the University that are designed with the aim of raising educational aspiration and supporting attainment. The programme offers activities to support young people to build their confidence and skills, to increase their knowledge and awareness of higher education and provide bespoke information and advice from a dedicated member of staff in the Widening Participation and Outreach Team.  For further information on what Widening Participation and Outreach can offer please contact Ben Toleman: email