I completed my undergraduate education at the University of London, completing a BSc (Hons) degree in Microbiology and Molecular Biology at Queen Mary College before studying medicine at St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College, graduating in 1993.
Following house jobs, I moved to Liverpool where I completed my surgical training in Otorhinolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS), during which time I developed a sub-specialist interest in Head and Neck surgical oncology.
I was appointed to an NHS consultant post at University Hospital Aintree (UHA) in November 2003, switching to a Clinical Senior Lecturer post at the University of Liverpool in November 2006 and securing promotion to a Readership in March 2010. In November 2011 I was awarded a Personal Chair in Head and Neck Surgery.
I am a co-founder of the Mersey Head and Neck Oncology Research Group (MHNORG), the Mersey Deanery Chair of STEC for ORL-HNS; a member of the National Cancer Research Institute (H&N) Clinical Studies Group and the Surgery and Local treatments sub-committee; a reviewer for the NIHR HTA Research Programme and the UICC International Cancer Fellowships; the ORL-HNS representative on the Foreign and Commonwealth Pro Bono Medical Panel and an editor for the Cochrane ENT Disorders Group and I am the ENT.UK representative on a NICE committee which has the remit to develop national policy on the use of Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy for Head and Neck cancer patients.
- Session Chair (Invitation to Perform, BACO Organising Committee 2012)
- What’s the new frontier in basic sciences in head & neck cancer. (Invitation to Speak, BACO Organising Committee 2012)
- • The management of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. (Invitation to Speak, Cumberland Royal Infirmary 2011)
- • Exploiting the Unfolded Protein Response in SCCHN. (University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre 2011)
- • Is it REALISTIC to vaccinate against HPV? (University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre 2011)
- • Immunonutrition in the management of SCCHN (Invitation to Speak, NOTO 2011)
- • The management of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. (Invitation to Speak, Hospital Doctor Group 2011)
- • Research ‐ excisional and laser management of SCCHN (Invitation to Speak, ENT/BAOMS 2011)
- • Role of OMFS in surgical Innovation – A perspective from ENT (Invitation to Speak, BAOMS 2011)
- Endoscopic laser surgery; Its uses, abuses and outcomes. (Invitation to Speak, Alexandria International Combined ORL Congress 2010)
- Therapeutic vaccination for HPV +ve oropharyngeal carcinoma. (Invitation to Speak, Alexandria International Combined ORL Congress 2010)
- The Use of Lasers in Head and Neck Cancer Surgery (Invitation to Speak, InHanse 2010)
- The Use of Lasers in Head and Neck Cancer Surgery (Invitation to Speak, InHanse 2009)
- Is it REALISTIC to vaccinate against HPV? (Invitation to Speak, NCRI 2009)
- Endoscopic Tumour Resection: Its uses abuses and outcomes (Invitation to Speak, S.African ENT Society 2009)
- A novel peri-operative treatment for SCCHN (Invitation to Speak, University of Hull 2009)
- The current use of lasers in head and neck cancer surgery (Invitation to Speak, ENT.UK 2009)
- Novel molecular approaches in the management of SCCHN (Invitation to Speak, SARS 2009)
- Chair, Head and Neck Session (Invitation to Speak, ENT.UK 2008)
- Fibreoptic laryngoscopy (Invitation to Speak, Difficult Airway Society 2008)
- The role of nutrition in Head and Neck cancer (Invitation to Speak, Key advances lecture series 2007)
- Types of neck dissection and their uses in Head and Neck cancer (Invitation to Speak, Hospital Medicine 2007)
- The effect of tracheostomy pre-laryngectomy (Invitation to Speak, NOTO 2007)
- Co-chair Liverpool CR-UK research committee Director, MSc in Otorhinolargyngology / Head and Neck Surgery Member, North West Hub for Trials Methodology Research (NWHTMR) Theme II Management Group Co-organiser the LECMC H&N 2nd Translational Symposium “The emerging role of HPV-16 in HNSCC” Liverpool 2010.
- Co-organiser, European Head and Neck Society Scientific Meeting in Liverpool in 2014. University Hospital Aintree (UHA), Liverpool Tissue Bank (LTB) Designated Individual Co-supervisor of five PhD and 10 MD students.
- Clinical manager of three Head and Neck Research Practitioners. Clinical and academic supervisor of two UHA funded Clinical Research Fellows and an NIHR funded Academic Clinical Fellow in ORL-HNS. In addition, I am a member of the Management Boards of the LCTU, LECMC and the LTB, as well as being a member of the Board of Studies of the MSc in Medical Science.
- Chair of Specialty Training and Education Committee (STEC) for Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (ORL-HNS): Member, NCRI (Head and Neck) Clinical Study Group and Surgery & Local Treatments subgroup:
- Editor, the Cochrane Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Disorders Group: Member, Scientific Review Board American Head and Neck Society (AHNS): Member, National Institute for Health Research Clinical Research Network Ear Nose and Throat Specialty Group (NIHR CRN ENT Specialty Group):