Sabeel Valappil is a microbiologist with special interests in bacteriology and biomaterials. Following his PhD, Sabeel worked at Imperial College London and the University of Westminster on developing Bioglass/PHA composites for tissue engineering applications. He then worked on controlled antibacterial agent delivery systems and bacterial biofilms at Eastman Dental Institute, University College London. Sabeel has been appointed as a Lecturer in the School of Dentistry at the University of Liverpool since April 2008.
- Chair of the Fluoride and Microbiology session for the ORCA2016 conference (European Organisation for Caries Research 2016)
- Santander Travel Award (Santander UK 2015)
- Invited Speaker: Gallium Based Antibacterial Materials and Its Applications (Invitation to Speak, Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University 2015)
- Member of Technology Program Committee of iCBEB2014 ( iCBEB2014, Beijing, China 2014)
- Chair of the Dental Biomaterials session for the ESB2014 conference (European Society for Biomaterials 2014)
- Materials for the Future European Society for Biomaterials Meeting Bursary (Materials for the Future, University of Liverpool 2014)
- Invited Speaker: Controlled Delivery of Antibacterial Gallium and Silver (Invitation to Speak, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology (SCTIMST) 2013)
- Chair of the Microbiology session for the ORCA2013 conference (European Organisation for Caries Research 2013)
- Member of the 60th European Organisation for Caries Research Conference (European Organisation for Caries Research 2013)
- UKIERI UGC Thematic Partnerships award (British Council 2012)
- Best Innovation in Patient Engagement in the Dental and Oral Health (Medical Futures 2011)
- Bionow Emerging Biomedical Technology Project of the year award (Bionow Annual Awards 2011)
- Member of 3rd International Conference on QLF (ICQ) Liverpool 2010 Organising committee ( ICQ Liverpool 2010 Organising committee 2010)
- SGM Travel Grant (Society for General Microbiology 2009)
- 3MESPE ODRT Research Award 2009 (3MESPE 2009)
- Personal Induction Award (University of Liverpool 2008)
- Central Research Fund Grant (University of London 2007)
- General Travel Grant (Biochemical Society 2007)
- Graduate School Staff Conference Fund (University College London 2007)
- A J Banks Travel Bursary (Society of Chemical Industry 2005)
- IUMS Congress Travel Grant (Society for General Microbiology 2005)
- General Travel Grant (Biochemical Society 2004)
- Messel Travel Bursary (Society of Chemical Industry 2004)
- Travel Grant (University of Westminster 2003)
- Travel Bursary (VWR international 2003)
- Postgraduate Fair (Prize, University of Westminster 2002)
- Departmental Scholarship (Competitive Fellowship, University of Westminster 2001)
- Deputy Director of Postgraduate Research for Institute of Psychology Health and Society.
- PGR Staff Representative for the Department of Health Services Research.
- Post Graduate Staff Student Liaison Committee.
- Faculty Progress Committee.