Staff: Purchasing mobiles & tablets
Staff may require a mobile phone or tablet in order to carry out their University work. Mobiles and tablets are available to purchase through the University appointed suppliers.
The University partners with Vodafone to provide staff with University mobiles.
- View the tariffs, handsets and personal discounts that are available.
The University partners with Academia/XMA to purchase Apple equipment, including The University partners with Vodafone to provide staff with University mobiles.
- Wi-Fi only iPads (no mobile data SIM) should be purchased from the University's recommended Apple supplier - Academia
- Wi-Fi and Mobile data iPads (with SIM and mobile data bundle) should be purchased through the University's mobile supplier - Vodafone.
- Android tablets - please contact CSD for advice on models and recommended suppliers, if you considering purchasing Android tablets.
- EMarking: if you are selecting a device to use for eMarking, make sure you follow the emarking procurement guidance.
Mobile Device Management
In June 2017, the University began to implement a Mobile Device Management (MDM) system - when you purchase a University iPhone, iPad or other smart device, it will be automatically enrolled on the system.
As well as helping to keep mobile devices secure, the MDM means that a lot of the configuration can be done automatically for you, making it incredibly easy to get up and running on the new device.
For example, when you switch on the iPhone/iPad, you will simply be prompted to enter your University username and password. The iPad will then go through the setup process, allowing you to choose a PIN then automatically configuring eduroam Wi-Fi, your email account and a range of University apps.
The configuration of the devices can be customised to suit the purpose - e.g. an iPad being used for eMarking can automatically have the Turnitin app installed.
Staff can also still install their own apps and features using their individual Apple ID.