I am a Reader in the Department of Architecture. I joined Liverpool in 2010, after conducting research in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2008-10), Harvard University (2006-08) and the Polytechnic University of Madrid (2003-05, 2009-12). I am a registered architect in Spain since 2003. My research lies at the interface between sustainable architectural design and material technology with an emphasis on the impact of innovative environments on building occupants (comfort, perception and wellbeing).
I am the Research Lead/REF Co-ordinator (Department of Architecture) since 2022, and the MArch (RIBA Part 2) Director of Studies since 2019.
I founded ECALab (Environmental Ceramics for Architecture Laboratory) in 2011, and HouseLab in 2020, two research strands within my Experimental Material Ecologies Research Group [EMERG].
Prizes or Honours
- Research Award (ASCER - Spanish Ceramic Tile Manufacturer’s Association 2011-, 2020)
- Moulding Futures 2011-17 Film (Nominated by tve Global Sustainability Film Awards, category Reshapaing the Economy, 2018)
- Staff Awards 2017 (University of Liverpool, 2017)
- Research Award (RIBA Research Trust Awards, 2013)
- Certificate in Professional Studies in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (University of Liverpool, 2013)
- II International ASCER Prize (ASCER - Spanish Ceramic Tile Manufacturer’s Association, 2004)
- I Guardian Glass Architecture and Engineering Prize (Guardian Glass , 2003)
- Fundacion Caja Madrid Fellowship (Fundacion Caja Madrid (Spain), 2008)
- MIT Energy Initiative Fellowship (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, MIT Energy Initiative Fund Seed Program(USA), 2008)
- Fondation Le Corbusier Fellowship (Fondation Le Corbusier (France), 2007)
- Fulbright Fellowship (Fulbright Program (USA), 2006)
- Harvard University- Real Colegio Complutense Fellowship (Harvard University- Real Colegio Complutense (USA-Spain), 2006)
- Fundacion Rafael Escola Fellowship (Fundacion Rafael Escola (Spain), 2003)