I have held the post of Chair Professor in Clinical Ophthalmology at the University since 2008 and have been Head of the Department of Eye and Vision Science since the Department was formed in 2010. Previously I held a full time NHS Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon post at St. Paul's Eye Unit, Royal Liverpool University Hospital.
I am a clinical scientist working in translational research in ophthalmology and vision science with a focus on the detection, prevention and treatment of retinal disease. I have developed a number of global partnerships including with Hong Kong and more widely in China, and with Malawi, Malaysia and several units within Europe.
The aim of the Department of Eye and Vision Science is to bring together scientists from a range of backgrounds to conduct world leading research from basic science to health services research with a focus on the eye. I believe strongly in the successful link between The University and its partner organisations in the NHS and worldwide. This provides strong clinical engagement resulting in our track record of translation and impact.
In 2018 I was appointed Clinical Director of Research, Development and Innovation at the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust. I aim to bridge between the NHS and University, strengthen clinical research and develop expertise throughout the organisation.
- Victor Horsley Lecture (Keynote Speech, BMA 2011)
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Approaches to a Global Epidemic (Keynote Speech, ARVO 2010)
- Award for Clinical Excellence (The Macular Diseases Society 2010)
- Seeing and Treating the Retina – Current Progress and Future Directions (Invitation to Speak, University of Liverpool 2009)
- Imaging and the Eye (Invitation to Speak, Insitute of Physics 2008)
- Where next in the screening of patients? The changing role of the ophthalmologist. (Keynote Speech, Royal College of Ophthalmologist 2008)
- The Relationship between Visual Acuity and Health-related Quality of Life. Report from the UK VPDT C (Invitation to Speak, Macula Society 2008)
- I am Head of the Department of Eye and Vision Science in the Institute of Ageing and Chronic Disease.
- I chair The Foundation for the Prevention of Blindness, a local charity supporting academic ophthalmology in Liverpool. I am Treasurer of the European Association for the Study of Diabetic Eye Diseases and Chairman of the Medical Retina Group. I serve on local regional and national committees in diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration.