School of Psychology
Kate M Bennett
Peer Reviewed Papers
- Bennett, K. M. Donnellan, W.J. & Victor, C. R. Widowhood, resilience and loneliness. (In Preparation).
- Bennett, K. M. & van den Hoonaard, D. K. Exploring the Nature of Friendship and Masculinity Amongst Older Widowed Men. (In Preparation).
- Donnellan, W. J. Bennett, K. M. Soulsby, L. K. Exploring the age-related positivity effect in carers and non-carers across the life course. (In Preparation).
- Windle, G. & Bennett, K. M. Psychological resilience, cognitive function and chronic illness in later life. (In Preparation).
- Donnellan, W. J. Bennett, K. M. Soulsby, L. K. Windle, G. on behalf of the CFAS consortium. Using an ecological framework to predict resilience in caregiving. The role of individual assets and community and societal resources. (In Preparation).
- Fallon, V. Bennett, K. M. & Harrold, J. A. Pregnancy-Specific Anxiety and Breastfeeding Intentions: Why the Best Laid Plans May Go to Waste. (In preparation).
- Windle, G. Bennett, K. M. & Macleod, C. The influence of life experiences on the development of resilience in older people with co-morbid health problems (Submitted).
- Fallon, V., Silverio, S., Halford, J.C.G., Bennett, K.M., & Harrold, J. (In Press). Postpartum-specific anxiety and maternal bonding: Further evidence to support the use of childbearing-specific tools. Journal of reproductive Health and Infant Psychology.
- Whitelock-Wainwright, A. Gasevic, D. Tejeiro, R. Tsai, Y.-S. & Bennett, K. M. (2019). The student experience of learning analytics questionnaire (SELAQ). Journal of Computer assisted Learning, 35 633-666.
- Bennett, K. M. Morselli,D. Spahni, S. & Perrig-Chiello, P. (2019). Trajectories of Resilience Among Widows: A Latent Transition Model. Aging and Mental Health. Published online: 9 Aug 2019. DOI: 10.1080/13607863.2019.1647129
- Donnellan, W. J. Bennett, K. M. & Soulsby, L. K. (2018). How does carer resilience change over time and care status? A qualitative longitudinal study. Aging and Mental Health Published online: 18 Nov 2018. doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2018.1503998
- Roper, L. Donnellan, W.J ., Hanratty, B. & BennettK. M. (2018). Exploring dimensions of social support and resilience when providing care at the end of life: a
qualitative study. Aging & Mental Health, DOI: 10.1080/13607863.2018.1484886.
- Bennett, K. M. Chao, Q. Holmes, L. & Lowers, V.(2018). The experiences of widowhood amongst Chinese women living in the UK. Death Studies, 42 8, 498-507, DOI: 10.1080/07481187.2017.1387617.
- Sahni, J., Czanner, G. Gutu, T. Bennett, K.M., Wuerger, S.M., Grierson, I., Murray-Dunning, C. Holland, M.N., Harding, S.P. (2016). Safety and acceptability of an organic light emitting diode sleep mask as a potential therapy for retinal disease. Eye. doi:10.1038/eye.2016.259.
- Clark, E. Bennett, K.M. Ward, N. & Jones, F. (2016). One size does not fit all - stroke survivors' views on group self-management interventions. Disability and Rehabilitation. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2016.1268653.
- Fallon, V., Komninou, S., Bennett,K.M., Halford, J.C.G., & Harrold,J. (2016). The emotional and practical experiences of formula-feeding mothers. Maternal and Child Nutrition. DOI DOI 10.1111/mcn.12392
- Fallon, V., Groves,R., Halford, J.C.G., Bennett,K.M. & Harrold,J. (2016). Postpartum Anxiety and Infant-Feeding Outcomes: A Systematic Review. Journal of Human Lactation.DOI 10.1007/s00737-016-0658-
- Fallon, V., Harrold, J. A., Halford, J.C.G. & Bennett,K.M. (2016). The Postpartum Specific Anxiety Scale: Development and preliminary validation. Archives of Women's Mental Health).DOI 10.1007/s00737-016-0658-
- Bennett, K. M., Reyes-Rodriguez, M-F., Altamar, P. & Soulsby, L. K. (2016). Resilience Amongst Older Colombians Living in Poverty: An Ecological Approach. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology. doi:10.1007/s10823-016-9303-3.
- Donnellan,W. J., Bennett, K. M. & Soulsby, L. K. (2016). Family close but friends closer: the role of social support in gaining and maintaining social relationships in older spousal dementia caregivers. Aging and Mental Health. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2016.1209734.
- Spahni, S.,Bennett, K. M. & Perrig-Chiello, P. (2016). Psychological adaptation to spousal bereavement in old age: The role of resilience, marital history, and context of death. Death Studies DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2015.1109566.
- Vass, V. Morrison, A. P., Law, H., Dudley, J. Taylor, P., Bennett, K. M. & Bentall, R. P. (2015).How stigma impacts on people with psychosis: The mediating effect of self-esteem and hopelessness on subjective recovery and psychotic experiences. Psychiatry Research, 230(2), 487-495.
- Fallon, V. Harrold,J. A. & Bennett, K. M. (2015). Prenatal Anxiety and Acute Infant Feeding Outcomes: A Qualitative Systematic Review. Journal of Human Lactation. DOI: 10.1177/0890334415 Published by Sage
- Piatczanyn, S.A., Bennett, K. M. & Soulsby, L. K. (2015). "Listen sweetheart, I'm not going to be putting on the long black dress!" Examining the Effects of Male Gay Partner Bereavement, Masculinity and Identity. (In Press) Men and Masculinities (JMM): doi:10.1177/1097184X15583905 Published by Sage
- Soulsby, L. K. & Bennett, K. M. (2015). Marriage and psychological wellbeing: The role of social support Psychology, 6,1349-1359. OPEN ACCESS
- Soulsby, L. K. & Bennett, K. M. (2015). "You know what's appropriate, you understand your role". Exploring marital identity. Journal of Family Issues. DOI: 10.1177/0192513X15598547.
- Bennett, K. M. & Windle, G. (2015). Commentary on: A Conceptual framework of the neurobiological study of resilience Kalisch, Muller & Tuscher The Importance not only of Individual but Community and Society Factors in Resilience in Later Life. Behavioral and Brain Science, 38 e94, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X14001459. Published by Cambridge University Press
- Thetford, C. Hodge, S. Bennett, K. M. Knox, P. & Robinson, J. (2015). Resilience and vision impairment. Journal of Aging Studies, 35, 37-48.
- Bennett, K. M. Grasso, F. Lowers, V. McKay, A. Milligan, C. (2015). Evaluation of an app to support older adults with wounds. ACM Digital Health, 15, 35-36.
- McNichol, E., McKay, A., Milligan, C., Bennett, K.M, Hulme, R.4, Joy, H. (2015) A Patient Led Approach to Product Innovation in Patient Education and Wound Management. EWMA Journal, 15(1), 47-51.
- Thompson, E. H. Jr. & Bennett, K. M. (2015). Measurement of Masculinity
Ideologies: A (Critical) Review. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 16(2), 115-133.
- Thompson, E. H. & Bennett, K. M. (2015). Response to Commentaries on Masculinity Ideologies. Psychology of Men & Masculinity, 16(2), 145-148. .
- Spahni, S., Morselli, D., Perrig-Chiello, P., Bennett, K. M. (2015). Patterns of psychological adaptation to spousal bereavement in old age. Gerontology, 61(5), 456-468.DOI: 10.1159/000371444.
Editor's Choice Free Access
- Soulsby, L. K. & Bennett, K. M. How relationships help us to age well. (2015) The Psychologist, 28(2), 110-113..
- Donnellan,W. J., Bennett, K. M. & Soulsby, L. K. (2014). What are the factors that facilitate or hinder resilience in older Spousal Dementia Carers? A qualitative study. Aging and Mental Health.Published online 20.11.14.doi.org/10.1080/13607863.2014.977771 .
- Richardson, V. E. Carr, D. Bennett, K. M. Gallagher, S. Kim. J. & Fields, N. (2013). How does widowhood get under one's skin?The effects of late-life spousal loss on cortisol levels. Journals of Geontology: Series B Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 70B.(3), 341-343. Free Editor's Choice
- Bennett, K. M. Soulsby, L. & Arnott, L. (2013). "You're not getting married for the moon and the stars": The ambivalence of older British widowers to the
idea of new romantic relationships. Journal of Aging Studies, 27, 499-506. doi:10.1016.j.jaging.2013.03.006
- Bertamini, M. Byrne, C. & Bennett, K. M. (2013). Attractiveness is influenced by the relationship between postures of viewer and viewed person. i-Perception, 4>, 170-179. doi:10.1068/i0578
- van den Hoonaard, D. K. & Bennett, K. M. (2013). "I Was There When She Passed Away": Older Widowers' Narratives Of The Death Of Their Wife. Ageing and Society, 34(6), 974.991. doi:10.1017/S0144686X12001353
Published by Cambridge University Press Publisher
- Bennett, K. M. & Victor, C. R. (2012). "He wasn't in that chair": What loneliness means to widowed older people. International Journal of Ageing and Later Life. 7(1), 33-52. 10.3384/ijal.1652-8670.127133
- Bennett, K. M. & Soulsby, L. K. (2012). Wellbeing in bereavement and widowhood. Illness, Crisis and Loss.20(4), 321 - 337. DOI: 10.2190/IL.20.4.b
- Windle, G. & Bennett,K. M. (2011). Methodological Review of Resilience Measurement Scales. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 9/1/8. doi:10.1186/1477-7525-9-8. HIGHLY ACCESSED
- Bertamini, M. Bennett, K.M. & Bode, C. (2011). The anterior bias in visual art: The case of images of animals. Laterality (published on line, 23.2.2011).DOI: 10.1080/1357650X.2010.508219
- Ahern, A.L., Bennett, K.M., Kelly, M. & Hetherington, M.M. (2011). A Qualitative Exploration of Young Women's Attitudes Toward the Thin Ideal. Journal of Health Psychology, 16(1), 70-79.
- Bennett, K.M. Latto, R.M. Bertamini, M. Bianchi, I. & Minshull, S. (2010). Does Left-Right Orientation Matter in the Perceived Expressiveness of Pictures? A study of
Bewick's animals (1753-1828). Perception, 39, 970-981. DOI: :10.1068/p6624.
- Bennett, K. M. Gibbons, K. & Mackenzie-Smith, S. (2010). Loss and restoration in later Life: An examination of the Dual Process Model of coping with bereavement. Omega: Journal of Death and Dying, 61(4), 315-332. doi: 10.2190/OM.61.4.d.
- Bennett, K. M. Stenhoff, A. Pattinson, J. & Woods, F. (2010). "Well if he could see me now": The facilitators and barriers to the promotion of instrumental independence following
spousal bereavement. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 53, 215-234. DOI: 10.1080/01634370903562931
- Bennett, K. M. (2010). "You can't spend years with someone and just cast them aside": Augmented identity in older British widows. Journal of Women and Aging, 22,(3), 204-217.
- Bennett, K. M. (2010). How to achieve resilience as an older widower: Turning points or gradual change? Ageing and Society, 30,369-382. doi:10.1017/S0144686X09990572.
- Bennett, K. M. (2009). "Can't do enough for you". Why do older men get more social support than women following bereavement? Bereavement Care, 28(3), 5-9.DOI: 10.1080/02682620903355317.
- Bertamini, M. & Bennett, K.M. (2009). A study on the effect of leg to body ratio on perceived attractiveness of simplified stimuli. Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology,3(3),233-250.
- Ahern, A. Bennett, K. M. & Hetherington, M. M. (2008). Internalisation of the ultra-thin ideal: Positive implicit associations with underweight fashion models
are associated with elevated drive for thinness in young women. Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention, 16. 294-307. DOI: 10.1080/10640260802115852.
- Bennett, K. M. (2007). "No Sissy Stuff": Towards a theory of masculinity and emotional
expression in older widowed men. Journal of Aging Studies, 21, 347-356. doi:10.1016/j.jaging.2007.05.002. .
- Gallagher, S. Bennett, K. M. & Halford, J. C. G. (2006). A comparison of acute and long-term healthcare personnel's attitudes towards older adults.
International Journal of Nursing Practice 12, 273-279.doi:10.1111/j.1440-172X.2006.00582.x.
- Bennett, K. M. (2006). Does marital status and marital status change predict physical health in older adults?
Psychological Medicine, 36(9), 1313-1320.doi:10.1017/S003329170600818X. .
- Bennett, K. M. Hughes, G. M. & Smith, P. T. (2005b). The effects of strategy and gender on coping with widowhood in later life. Omega, 51(1), 33-52
- Bennett, K. M., Hughes, G. M. & Smith, P. T. (2005a). Coping, depressive feelings and gender differences in late life widowhood.
Aging and Mental Health, 9(4), 348-353. DOI: 10.1080/13607860500089609.
- Bennett, K. M. (2005c). "Was Life Worth Living?": The decision to live following male spousal bereavement.
Mortality, 10(2), 144-154. DOI: 10.1080/13576270500102906
- Bennett, K. M. (2005b). Psychological wellbeing in later Life: The Longitudinal effects of marriage, widowhood and marital status change.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20, 280-284. DOI: 10.1002/gps.1280.
- Bennett, K. M. (2005a). Social engagement as a predictor of objective and subjective health.
European Journal of Ageing, 2, 48-55.DOI: 10.1007/s10433-005-0501-z.
- Bennett, K. M. (2004b). A brief report of the circumstances which predict poor coping in older widows and widowers.
Indian Journal of Gerontology, 18(1), 85-94. Publisher
- Bennett, K. M. (2004a). "Why Did He Die?": The Attributions of cause of death amongst women widowed in later life.
Journal of Health Psychology, 9(3), 345-353. DOI: 10.1177/1359105304038242.
- Hughes, G. M. Bennett, K. M. & Hetherington, M. M. (2004). Old and alone: Barriers to healthy eating in older men living on their own.
Appetite, 43(3), 269-276. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2004.06.002.
- Bennett, K. M., Hughes, G. M. & Smith, P. T. (2003). "I think a woman can take it": Widowed men's views and experiences of gender differences in bereavement.
Ageing International, 28(4), 408-424.
- Bennett, K. M. (2002). Social Engagement as a precursor of mortality amongst people in later life.
Age and Ageing, 31, 165-168.
- Bennett, K. M. & Vidal-Hall, S. (2000c).
Narratives of death: A qualitative study of widowhood in women in later life. Ageing and Society, 20(4), 413-428.
- Bennett, K. M. & Bennett, G. (2000-1b). "And there's always this great hole inside that hurts":
An empirical study of bereavement in later life. Omega, 42(3), 237-251.
- Bennett, G. & Bennett, K. M. (2000a). The presence of the dead: An empirical study.
Mortality, 5(2), 139-157.
- Bennett, K. M. (1998c). Longitudinal changes in mental and physical health among elderly, recently widowed men. Mortality, 3(3), 265-273.
- Bennett, K. M. (1998a). Customary physical activity and gender as precursors for late life personal disturbance.
British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 37(2), 189-197. Publisher
- Bennett, K. M. (1998b).
Gender and longitudinal changes in physical activities in later life.
Age and Ageing, 27 (supplement 3), 24-28. Publisher
- Bennett, K. M. (1997b). A longitudinal study of wellbeing in widowed women. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 12(1), 61-66.
- Bennett, K. M. (1997a). Widowhood in elderly women: The medium and long-term effects on mental and physical health.
Mortality, 2(2), 137-148.
- Bennett, K. M. & Stevens, R. (1997). The internal structure of the Eating Disorder Inventory: An analysis.
Healthcare for Women International, 18(5), 495-504. Publisher
- Bean, N. Bennett, K. M. & Lehmann, A. (1995). Habitus and hip fracture revisited: Skeletal size, strength and cognition rather than thinness?
Age and Ageing, 24, 481-484. Publisher .
- Bennett, K. M. (1996). A longitudinal study of wellbeing in widowed women. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 11(11), 1005-1010.
- Bennett, K. M. & Stevens, R. (1996). Weight anxiety in older women. European Eating Disorders Review, 4(1), 32-39.
- Bennett, K. M. & Morgan, K. (1992).
Health, social functioning, and marital status: Stability and change among elderly recently widowed women.
International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 7 (11), 813-817.
Books, Book Chapters and Reports
- Bennett, K. M. (2015). Emotional and Personal resilience Through Life. Future of an Ageing Population: Evidence review. London: Foresight, Government Office for Science.
- Soulsby, L. K. & Bennett, K. M. (2017). Widowhood in Late Life. In Encyclopaedia of Psychogerontology. Singapore: Springer
- Bennett, K. M. (2015). Social Engagement Overview. Age UK (Eds) In Improving Later Life: Vulnerability and Resilience in Later Life. London: Age UK.
- Bennett, K.M. (2014). "I thought I could look after her as good as anybody": How older widowers' reconstruct their masculinity. In Tarrant, A. & J. Watts (Eds). Ageing Masculinities (pp20-37). Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Bennett, K. M. & Soulsby, L. K. (2014). Psychological Wellbeing in Later Life. In T. Kirkwood & C. Cooper (Eds), Wellbeing in Later Life. Wiley Blackwell.
- Windle, G. & Bennett, K. M. (2011). Resilience and caring relationships. In M. Ungar (Ed.), Social Ecology of Resilience. New York: Springer.
- Bennett, K. M. (2008). Widowhood. In Carr, D. S. (ed). Encyclopedia of the Lifecourse and Human Development Farmington Hills, MI: Gale.
- Speck, P., Bennett, K. M., Coleman, P. G., Mills, M., McKiernan, F., Smith, P. T., and Hughes, G. M. (2005). Elderly bereaved spouses - issues of belief, well-being and support.
In A. Walker (Ed.), Understanding quality of life in old age (pp.146-160). Maidenhead: Open University Press. Publisher
- Bennett, G. and Bennett, K. M. (1999). Witness, bereavement, and the sense of presence. In Bennett, G. Alas, poor ghost!: Traditions of belief in story and discourse. Utah: Utah University Press.
- Bennett, K. M. and Morgan, K. (1993) Gender and the organisation of physical activity. In Arber, S. and Evandrou, M. Ageing, independence and the life course. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Bennett, K. and Morgan, K. (1992) Activity and morale in later life: Preliminary analyses from the Nottingham Longitudinal Study of Activity and Ageing. In: Norgan, N. (ed.) Physical activity and health. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Bennett, K. (1991). Adult body image. Nottingham: Dept of Adult Education, University of Nottingham.
Peer Reviewed Abstracts and Proceedings
Presentations and Invitations to Speak