Wrecks of Liverpool Bay
Errata and Updated Information
- Acknowledgements Hollingwood -> Collingwood
- Page 3, line 4 1936 -> 1939
- Page 26 Traeth Bychan is on the East not West coast of Anglesey
- Page 35 line 12 lead -> led
- Page 31 Her position could located.. -> Her position could be located..
- Page 68 The Penstone wreck lies with stern to west
- Page 70 Travemunde was in West Germany - not East; Keil -> Kiel
- Page 75 Dubois, McCullum and Phillips -> DPM(UK)
- Liverpool Marine Press has moved address to
4 Melloncroft Drive West
Wirral CH48 2JD
- The positions given are in the (now outdated) OSGB36 datum and
conversion to WGS84 is discussed in chapter 10. However, the positions
in the modern WGS84 datum are given for convenience in Wrecks of Liverpool
Bay Volume 2.
- Much of the following is also correctly updated in Wrecks of Liverpool
Bay Volume 2 (see chapters 10 and 11).
- Page 14 The Lelia has been located by me in 1996 about 1.5 miles west of
the position of the North West Lightship in 1865.
- Page 19 The Resurgam was discovered in 1996 6 miles north of Rhyl and
is now a protected historic wreck.
- Page 30 The Ellan Vannin has been located by me - more details
- Page 39 the El Oso buoy has been removed.
- Page 39 the Cairnross is reported as built in 1912. It lies with bow
north and stern south.
- Note that a Traffic Separation Scheme is now in operation in
Liverpool Bay - this covers the wreck of the Cairnross and City of
Brussels: see here for more details .
- Page 46,65 The Stanleigh is now definitely identified as Unknown A,
more of the story of the survivors is known too.
- Page 52 The Gorsethorn sank under tow after being abandoned. No lives
- Page 57 Mancunium. I now have a photo of this vessel in service
(thanks to Dave Stead) here .
- Page 59 Speke. A photo of this vessel in service is given in Wrecks
of Liverpool Bay Volume 2.
- Page 64 I have located and dived on Burbo Towers at the position given.
- Page 65 Unknown B is now known to be the coaster Letty, sunk on
21-8-1940 with the loss of all crew.
- Page 76 The arrangements for launching from the Wirral slips have now changed.
- Page 77 The charter boat information is now mostly incorrect.
Return to books.