Professor Beresford is Specialty Cluster Lead of the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) Clinical Research Network (CRN) Specialty Cluster Hub including the National Specialty Groups of Children, Reproductive and Childbirth, Musculoskeletal, Ophthalmology and Haematology research, along with the emerging technology of Stratified/Personalized Medicine. He was formerlyJoint Clinical Director of the NIHR CRN: Children, bringing together the entire portfolios of the highly successful NIHR Medicines for Children Research Network (MCRN) and Paediatric (non-medicines) Specialty Group.
Chair of the NIHR CRN: Children / Arthritis Research UK Paediatric Rheumatology Clinical Studies Group, he has been responsible for developing and overseeing a UK-wide comprehensive portfolio for clinical trials (commercial and non-commercial) and related studies covering the entire spectrum of disease areas in paediatric rheumatology and musculoskeletal health over the last 8 years.
Professor Beresford is Clinical Director of the £2million NIHR Alder Hey Clinical Research Facility for Experimental Medicine, renewed again from 2017 for another 5 years. He is Director of the only UK Experimental Arthritis Treatment Centre for Children.
Chair of the UK Juvenile-onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (JSLE) Study Group, he is Chief Investigator of the UK JSLE Cohort Study and Repository, exploring the clinical and immunopathological characteristics of this archetypal systemic autoimmune disease, fostering a translational program of research directed towards clinical trials in JSLE. His Research Group, with growing international profile, is investigating the role of neutrophil apoptosis in JSLE patients, the interaction of the innate and adaptive immune systems in the development of JSLE, and biomarkers of lupus nephritis.
He is International Counsellor on the Advisory Council of PRINTO (www.printo.it). He is a UK representative on the international consortium: Understanding Childhood Arthritis Network (UCAN) investigating the biological basis of JIA and Chair of the Paediatric Rheumatology European Society JSLE Working Group.
He is the academic lead in the research active Clinical and Academic Department of Paediatric Rheumatology at Alder Hey Children's NHS Foundation Trust, one of Europe's leading Paediatric Rheumatology Research Centres and Liverpool's EULAR Centre of Excellence.
- Progress & Next Steps: An Update on the UK JSLE Study Group (Invitation to Speak, Paediatric Rheumatology European Society 2010)
- Experimental Medicine and Clinical Trials in Paediatric Rheumatology (Invitation to Speak, Paediatric Rheumatology European Society 2010)
- The UK Paediatric Rheumatology Clinical Studies Group (Invitation to Speak, 14th International Behcet's Conference 2010)
- The UK Paediatric Lupus Group: Challenges & Opportunities (Invitation to Speak, 9th International Lupus Conference 2010)
- Experimental Medicine? Driving forward Care & Understanding (Invitation to Speak, Academic Paediatrics Association of GB & I 2009)
- MCRN and the MCRN/ARC Paediatric Rheumatology CSG (Invitation to Speak, Anticipating changes in drug development in children. Translation Research in Paediatric Rheumatology, Genoa 2008)
- Challenges & Opportunities facing UK MCRN/arc Paediatric Rheumatology CSG (Invitation to Speak, Scottish SLE Special Interest Group / West of Scotland Rheumatologists Meeting 2008)
- What’s going on in UK JSLE? (Invitation to Speak, Lupus Working Group of PRES 2008)
- What’s happening in JSLE? (Invitation to Speak, Musculoskeletal Research Group, University of Newcastle 2008)
- Advances in Treatment of JSLE (Invitation to Speak, EULAR Education Course, PRES 2008)
- CSGs working with Funding Bodies: The MCRN/arc Paediatric Rheumatology CSG (Invitation to Speak, MCRN 2007)
- Pain or a pain... (Invitation to Speak, Merseyside Update Meeting for Paediatricians 2006)
- The Limping Child (Invitation to Speak, National GPSI-MSK conference 2006)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (Invitation to Speak, Rheumatoid Arthritis & Osteoarthritis Clinical Experience Programme 2005)
- JSLE: The Time is Right (Invitation to Speak, BSPAR Research Sub-Committee 2005)
- School of Reproductive & Developmental Medicine Research Committee
- Consultant Appointment panels
- SpR RITA assessments