Professor Southern joined the University of Liverpool and Alder Hey Children’s Hospital on the 1st January 2000 and is Director of the Cheshire, Merseyside and North Wales Network of Paediatric Cystic Fibrosis Care with responsibility for the care of over 300 children with CF in the North West of England. He is the Chief Investigator for the national UK CF START study, a trial funded by the UK government to evaluate the safest and most effective antibiotic treatment strategy for infants with CF. In 2007, he helped establish the national UK Newborn Screening Programme for CF and he now chairs the national Board overseeing this programme. He is the Leader of the European CF Society Neonatal Screening Working Group. He is an Editor for the international Cochrane Review Group evaluating evidence for therapies for people with CF. In addition to his editorial role, he has written and contributed to 12 systematic reviews and his research is focused on translating evidence into practice. He has published over 100 peer reviewed articles on cystic fibrosis and is internationally respected for his work on newborn screening. He is currently the joint editor of a textbook sponsored by the European CF Society, the “Early CF Years”. He is an elected member of the ECFS Board and, as such, has a global perspective on the issues facing people with CF. He was instrumental in lobbying for the European CF Conference to be held in Liverpool in 2019 and is an ambassador for the city.
Professor Southern is Deputy Head of Women’s and Children’s Health, a large and research active department in the University. He has particular responsibility for the Child Health team located in the new Institute in the Park, adjacent to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital. He was actively involved (over more than ten years) in the plans and construction of the new Institute.
- Presentation at ECFC (Invitation to Speak, ECFS 2009)
- Newborn screening for CF in Europe (Invitation to Speak, ERS 2007)
- New insights into the pathophysiology of CF (Keynote Speech, IPP Group 2006)
- Newborn Screening for CF (Invitation to Speak, London Respiratory Forum 2006)
- Rationale behind the UK CF screening programme (Invitation to Speak, ECFS 2006)
- Diagnostic dillemas in CF (Invitation to Speak, CF Trust 2006)
- Screening Newborns for CF (Keynote Speech, ECFS 2006)
- Running a workshop (Invitation to Speak, NACFF 2005)
- UK CF Conference (Invitation to Speak, UK CF Trust 2005)
- Large Symposium Lecture (Invitation to Speak, European CF Society 2005)
- - Deputy Head, Department of Women's and Children's Health.
- - Chair of the UK Advisory Board on CF NBS
- - Chair of the UK Scientific Advisory Group for NBS
- - Clinical Lead of the Cheshire, Merseyside and North Wales Network of Paediatric CF Care (responsible for over 340 children with CF)